Narrowband

Synscan AZ Goto Telescope

Hi i am wondering if anyone here can help me out i have the above telescope the problem i am having is that when i connect it up it has problems with moving, when i press the directional buttons it sometimes moves with no problems but then it just seems to stick and will only then move in tiny increments and will not slew to any given location at all. I.E. when i try to align the scope i can get it to go to the first alignment star when i input the second star it just stays where it is and says it has moved which it hasn't also sometimes it just goes wherever it wants. I have had this mount for a while and must admit very rarely used it so am wondering if it could be a problem with the motors as well?

Could this be down to the firmware on the controller? I have tried updating it several times and this still does not solve the problem i currently have version 1.7 on the controller. 

001.JPG

Hi thanks for the reply i have tried different power supplies at the minute i have it connected to a 12v adaptor straight in to the mains. The original adaptor broke some time ago and i have tried loads of different ones with the same results or they don't work at all.

I bought exactly the same skywatcher AZ mount via ebay where the seller had admitted that it was working intermittently.

When I checked it out I found that the RJ11 plug from the hand control to the base unit had a poor connection.

These plugs are modular "IDC"  (Insulation Displacement) and are transparent so they can be inspected quite easily with a magnifying glass.

The coloured internal wires should be clearly visible in the tiny grooves on the opposite side to the clip.  They should be fully "in", running right up to the outer end of the plug.  Mine had partially pulled out.  Luckily, I already had the necessary crimping tool (as used on PC network cables), but they are surprisingly cheap, costing less than £10.

The pics show an RJ11 plug, (though the correct connection colours will vary.  The plugs are not re-usable, but new ones cost only pence.

rj crimping tool.jpeg

rj11 connections.jpeg

5 hours ago, MICKYJD65 said:

Hi again i have just checked the power under the utilities and it is bouncing between 13 and 16 volts not sure if this is a problem?

Mick

Bouncing sounds bad and 16v also sounds bad. Your power pack may be unregulated which is also bad. The power should be steady, and between 12 and 14 volts DC. 

It is possible that you have a poor connection between power lead and mount.

It is a good idea to have a digital multi-test meter to check out power problems.

3 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

I bought exactly the same skywatcher AZ mount via ebay where the seller had admitted that it was working intermittently.

When I checked it out I found that the RJ11 plug from the hand control to the base unit had a poor connection.

These plugs are modular "IDC"  (Insulation Displacement) and are transparent so they can be inspected quite easily with a magnifying glass.

The coloured internal wires should be clearly visible in the tiny grooves on the opposite side to the clip.  They should be fully "in", running right up to the outer end of the plug.  Mine had partially pulled out.  Luckily, I already had the necessary crimping tool (as used on PC network cables), but they are surprisingly cheap, costing less than £10.

The pics show an RJ11 plug, (though the correct connection colours will vary.  The plugs are not re-usable, but new ones cost only pence.

rj crimping tool.jpeg

rj11 connections.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies on this I will check them one by one and let you know what happens. Cheers Mick. 

Hi Everyone

Just an update on this it was definitely a power issue with the adaptor I was using. I found an old car adaptor in my box of many wires and when I plugged this in it works fine running from the car. So I have bought a new adaptor today. Thanks for all the replies on this. 

Archived