sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Suitable Pier height ???

Following on from my screen fence thread, a pier may be the  next logical step....

It will be a steel fabricated one and buried in the ground or bolted to a foundation, not sure yet.
I aim to leave it outside under a cover, no observatory for now.

This is for visual only and with a refractor and sometime an SCT.

So what height etc.

At present a 120mm - 150mm diameter or square section with a top plate of steel is my thinking,
height at the tripod height I often use is 1200mm. is this a sensible height or too low?

Your thoughts and experience will as always be appreciated.
Any experience shared, or images too will be very much of help.

I'm in the same position Alan.  

It is a tricky decision if you want to use a selection of scopes   ( long refractors, short SCT's)  and a selection of objects  ( stars/DSOs~ relatively high altitude ,  planets ~ relatively low ).

One thing to add to the thread in terms of the decision making process,  is the available extensions that you can get for mounts. 

HEq5's can have a solid 16" extension added, whereas for NEQ6's it is only an 8" tube.   Depending on your mount, this could mean you go can go shorter on the pier, and future-proof your set-up.

Sean.

• Thanks 1

1100mm / 1200mm is a reasonable compromise I think, better too low than too high as you can always fit / remove an extension depending on the scope fitted.

I have a couple of piers around the 1100mm height one is adjustable, although I do occasionally end up standing on a small stool when viewing stuff down low.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Slightly tangential to the question, but I have a long length of air con tubing within your size range that is going free to anyone who wants to collect it. Similar to what I used for my concrete-filled pier but longer and of smaller diameter. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, x6gas said:

Ah, OK mate I am looking for something a bit bigger - 8" diameter or so, I think.  Thanks for the reply, though and very generous offer!

No worries. Hope you find what you're looking for