SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Soul - Nb + osc

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

I've been accumulting images of the Soul Nebula, in particular Ha - 6 hrs 20 min; OIII - 6 hrs 40 min; SII - 6 hrs; OSC - 2 hrs 25 min. The Nb data came from a Samyang135mm + Atik428ex; the osc data from a WO-ZS71 + Atik414osc.

I used APP to pre-process the Nb multi-session data and PI to pre-process the osc data.

PI was used to noise reduce and stretch the Ha, OIII and SII data and then Annie's Astro Action macro used to produce an HST image; this image was then subsequently fully processed in PI. The osc data was fully processed in PI with the focus on the stars and not extracting the feint nebula.

The two resulting images were then combined using a 60% transparency lighten layer in Photoshop to try to bring out the star colour.

Soul-HST-osc-combine.png.8c7e7565e4e54b7362a1879ebc838914.png

My skills in APP, PI and PS are still pretty limited so I am sure an expert treatment of the data would produce a better result.

I think it is now time to give the Samyang 135mm+Atik428ex undersampled combination a rest and have a play with the ED80DS-Pro+Atik 428ex pointed at a few galaxies!

Thank you for looking and as ever any comments or suggestions on how to improve this image would be gratefully received.

Adrian

Hi, nice work.

Have you tried to produce an image without the OSC data? What are the sub lengths with the narrow band filters?

I suspect that you may have introduced noise in combining the OSC data into the longer narrow band integration.

Adam

6 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Have you tried to produce an image without the OSC data? What are the sub lengths with the narrow band filters?

I suspect that you may have introduced noise in combining the OSC data into the longer narrow band integration.

Hi Adam,

I did produce an image without osc data but I felt the star colours were not so good.

The Nb sub lengths vary from a few 300s, through mainly 600s and 900s up to a few 1200s only on the OIII data.

I tried to suppress the osc noise to a minimum and hoped that by layering in Lighten mode in Photoshop there would be no/minimal transfer of the noise onto the HST image, especially as the Lighten layer is only at 60% transparency.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions though, I'll take another look at the noise I may have introduced.

Adrian

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Adam,

I did produce an image without osc data but I felt the star colours were not so good.

The Nb sub lengths vary from a few 300s, through mainly 600s and 900s up to a few 1200s only on the OIII data.

I tried to suppress the osc noise to a minimum and hoped that by layering in Lighten mode in Photoshop there would be no/minimal transfer of the noise onto the HST image, especially as the Lighten layer is only at 60% transparency.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions though, I'll take another look at the noise I may have introduced.

Adrian

Thats ok, I would stick with a single sub length in the main with Narrow band imaging. 600s is a good place to start with your camera.

Archived