Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative to Baader Zoom?

emadmoussa

44 minutes ago, Ags said:

Define "budget". I have read in several places that the super cheap €30 Seben zoom has several internal plastic lenses, so stay away from that one...

Yes, the cheapest Seben unit, the 7mm-21mm does have plastic lens components and not worth buying IMO. The Seben 8mm-24mm is quite good though at F6 and longer.   ?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

This one seems to have a reasonable reputation. I think John tried one recently and rated it quite highly. At f9 It should be fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opticstar-XL-7-2mm-21-5mm-ZOOM-Wide-Angle-Eyepiece-UK-/322482444306

This looks like rebadged Hyperflex to me. I have read generally good reviews of Hyperflex but was unable to find direct comparison to Baader or Celestron. 

2 minutes ago, pregulla said:

This looks like rebadged Hyperflex to me. I have read generally good reviews of Hyperflex but was unable to find direct comparison to Baader or Celestron. 

It's available under a lot of brandings, some at considerably more cost. I like the one I've got but I mostly use it with a Baader 2.25x barlow to create a high power zoom eyepiece. I posted some views on it here:

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:09, R26 oldtimer said:

Comparing it side by side with a celestron  8-24 zoom, which is considered to be decent, I would say that the only cheaper alternative to a bhz is a second-hand bhz..... Especially on an ed scope.

Emad.  Yes, a 100ED is a good scope and personally I think if you're in it for the long run, a used Baader Zoom is the way to go.  If you buy an inferior zoom that compromises your telescope then you may regret it.  Even if your scope is f6 or longer, an inferior zoom will give a worse performance in other important aspects such as field at different focal lengths and contrast etc.  As in many other instances, you generally get what you pay for.

If you have the opportunity, it would be worthwhile taking your 100ED somewhere you can compare different zooms and see for yourself how they compare on the night sky.  A star party, a local astronomy society's observing session  or a well equipped observatory such as The Astronomy Centre nr Todmorden would be ideal.

Archived