Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
DaveHKent

Lunar mosaic - matching colours

I captured the a 6% crescent a couple of nights ago, and after processing I am stitching the images together into a mosaic. It was not the best imaging session, done in a hurry before the moon got too low with bands of thin cloud keep moving across it. I also found that getting the gain and exposure settings right is quite hard for a thin moon. Any tips there would be appreciated.

When stitching the last bits of moon together, I have found there is quite a colour mismatch. Any tips on what to do to try and make them match? Although you can't tell from the cut and paste below of the two areas, both are currently seperate layers in GIMP, so I can play around with levels. I have tried a few of the tools in the colours menu but I can't find anything that gets the lower part remotely close to the upper part.

mismatched.png

use microsoft ICE for stitching it is free and painless ,i processed mine in registax and used same settings for all panes 

Does ICE do the colour matching too? I tried dumping my images in, which had a fair amount of overlap and duplicates. It didn't do a good job of them, but I was only guessing about how to drive it.

chuck them all in and it will sort them out ,colour when i done panes were processed with the same settings in registax mind i was using images gained from video clips about 2k frames per clip 

I think that is where my problem is. The moon appeared different colours in the last couple of video captures, so the stills and the processed image came out different. I did use the same stacking options, except the number of alignment points.

Always set you gain/exposure on the brightest part of the moon..once done leave it and do all your frames the same..

Once it's all stitched and you have a slight difference in tone then it can be adjusted in levels in Photoshop

Are you in Kent yourself?

I managed to blend the colouring so it is a reasonable match. Not that great, but not the best weather or prep for imaging so not bad considering.

lunar_6pc_20190207.png