Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lost star maps forever?!

mark81

So way back in 1998 I was given one of those general introduction to astronomy books by Collins.  Towards the back there was a nice set of star maps - not the best - but stars down to mag 8 and DSOs to mag 13.  Over the years the book fell apart and I ended up taping the maps together so I had 12 nice size individual maps..perfect. 

Last night I was finishing up a little session, the wind had dropped and I placed the maps beside me while I reached forward for my torch - suddenly the biggest gust of wind I have ever felt engulfed the garden, my eyes shot to the maps and before I could move , up they went.  Up into the darkness like a flock of frightened pigeons. I stood up in horror as they vanished.  Seconds later the wind stopped - silence. I glanced up and amazingly the maps began to float back down. One landed on my neighbours garage and then slipped off, one fell in the pond and others rested here and there.  I dashed about the garden like a madman  frantically grabbing them up.  One missing I thought.  I remembered the one on the roof which was no longer there and knew where it was, between the garage and the fence.  I peered over into the small gap and there it was at the far end.  I would have to make my way along the plant and shrub boarder which was fine untill I reached a pyracanthus which for those of you who are green fingered will know its is full of needle like spikes.  I forced myself passed it with spikes digging into my neck and back, a spider web jumped into my mouth.. I bent down and tried lifting the fence but due to its age it was soft and spongy and began to crumble.  I tried again lifting it a tiny amount and then stuffed my hand under cutting my arm. I was greeted with nettles brambles and rubble.... And then map beloved map.  I couldn't face going back the waybill had come so I leaped over the pond and landed on my back on the went lawn.  I clutched the maps to my chest and smiled.  'Auriga looks nice's I thought...

What a session

Thanks for reading

55 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

That was a most enjoyable read, pleased it all had a happy ending.
Perhaps clipping them to a clip-board in future might be worth considering.

I have thought of that - but the other day I saw a comet Hunter f Australia who had mounted them on boards - so I might do that...... Or just do what I know I should, And get a new Atlas ?

That's nothing!!  This is what you don't want happening!  That was several years ago and

Roof-off-2.jpg

I solved the problem after repairing the roll off roof and getting a couple of neighbours to help replace it, with these.  Hasn't blown off since in the worst storms.

519020669_RoofToggleLatchSouth.jpg.4fa2e85ec6971226d7af8d744c72f48c.jpg1576277450_RoofToggleLatchNorth.jpg.1fe2b8f559a1e0ac9b5b59fdd049d39d.jpg

They have actually invented these things called scanners!  They are great fo providing a backup record of things on paper that you don't want to lose.  I am  frequent 'scanner' and often drop things in that might be worth keeping.  Most recently pension letters and a 40 year  old magazine page that mum has been baking recipes from all those years.  If if it took some creative folding you could probably get a set of scans of you precious maps.  You could then print them onto A4, buy a cheap laminator (these are worth every penny of their investment) and laminate a set of maps then punch the top corners and add a treasury tag for a flip over pack, or bind the edges.  Either method would give a heavier waterproof pack for use outside.

Archived