SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2018 Y1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a few 30 sec shots between the clouds but Leo is diving into S. London light pollution now as you can see from right hand side of image.

Single JPEG here will have a look at the rest tomorrow / today.

Dave

SWSA Canon 60Da Canon 70/200 @100

C-2018-Y1.thumb.png.445fc7a779c80f7d2afb83476ff0e0e4.png

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 03:23, Davey-T said:

Got a few 30 sec shots between the clouds but Leo is diving into S. London light pollution now as you can see from right hand side of image.

Single JPEG here will have a look at the rest tomorrow / today.

Dave

SWSA Canon 60Da Canon 70/200 @100

C-2018-Y1.thumb.png.445fc7a779c80f7d2afb83476ff0e0e4.png

nice pic. My best chance seems to be around 3am Friday after the moon has set and Leo to the south.
Cant see much looking east - except London. Although I might scale a nearby hill this eve to see.
What focal length was this shot please ? (70/200 @ 100 = 70mm dia, fl200 100 asa ?)

I observed the comet for the first time last night.  Visually it looked very much like Davey-T's photo, only fainter and no color.  Theskylive.com/comets listed the observed magnitude as 6.8 but it didn't seem that bright.    Part of the issue with that was it  was pretty close to a field star and was affected by glare.   It responded somewhat to a Lumicon comet filter, but it looked best without at higher magnifications of 150x to 200x.   At those magnifications the central condensation was visible and it looked like the photo.    After observing it for about 30 minutes it moved away from the field star causing the glare and became easier to see.    It's moving very fast now but it should stay in a very observable position but the Moon is going to become an issue soon.

Phil

Observed this last night. In the evening with the Tak 100mm it was faint but discernible. Conditions were not ideal with Leo being low, moon still around and some local light pollution. Got up around 1.00 am when all those factors were improved: Leo higher, the moon set and my neighbour’s porch light off?

Easier to see but still not bright by any means. Just a misty patch but it had visibly moved quite a bit since the evening observation- at least I knew it was a comet! 

Good to bag another comet (I love ‘em!) and I must tot up my tally one day.

btw Sky Safari ‘s positioning is spot on. Using the app to control the mount, the comet was dead centre in the eyepiece both times. 

I was hoping to have a go at this one last night but it was cloudy still at 2:00 am so I gave up and went to bed. Hopefully some clear skies later this week to have a peek.

Sounds like another fairly indistinct comet - we could really do with a nice bright one to add some sparkle to the late winter skies :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, John said:

I was hoping to have a go at this one last night but it was cloudy still at 2:00 am so I gave up and went to bed. Hopefully some clear skies later this week to have a peek.

Sounds like another fairly indistinct comet - we could really do with a nice bright one to add some sparkle to the late winter skies :icon_biggrin:

Mhh same here - got up at 1, 3 and 4 clouds .. Im still hoping for Thursday night / Friday morning after the moon sets when it should be near (couple of degrees south) Alterf in Leo.
At least I will stand some chance of being in the right spot :-)

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I was up at 5am to a clear sky. Leo nicely placed so I used my Apollo 15x70 binos. Easily found the Comet which looked like a hazy ball in the Binos. Difficult to judge the mag but I thought it was pretty good in the binos.

I'll have my 11x70's on standby tonight then :smiley:

Another view tonight, up around Regulus. It was brighter then a few nights ago around 9.45, even in moonlight with a slight haze, much easier to see in the ST80 at 15x and 30x. It's large and diffuse, similar to recent comet 46/P but a bit more irregular in shape.  See Sky&Telescope link.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/comet-iwamoto-ascends-and-brightens/

andrew

managed to find it ?
wasn't expecting a clear sky so all a bit rushed to get out.
I found a cls filter helped subdue some of my grey background.
Regulus is heading for the streetlight - so I'm Just waiting for the streetlights to go off now.

Bresser 102s/600 and BST 18mm. .

Archived