Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Membor

mat_blue

I've owned telescopes for a long time but never seemed to get around to using them much.  We bought a vacation condo in a place with very dark skies so I took my newest telescope there and, WOW, I didn't realize what I've been missing.  I've been searching the forums here and on the other "cloudy" website for ideas to improve my observing and equipment, so I figured I'd join up.

My equipment:
Scope 1 - Celestron 80mm refractor (CB80) purchased in 1984 or so (neither my records nor my memory go back that far!)
                came with wooden tripod and manual alt-az mount with MEGA backlash

Scope 2 - Celestron NexStar 6SE purchased in July, 2016
                 no GPS, just the stock tripod, alt-az goto mount
                 Added an Orion 6x30 RACI finderscope just last month.  Really helps with alignment of the scope.

Took some pictures with my Panasonic DMX-FZ1000 super-zoom camera mounted on top of the scope, zoomed to 400mm.  Attached.  Not great pix but the best I've ever done.

M42-OrionNebula.JPG

M31-AndromedaGalaxy.JPG

2 hours ago, mat_blue said:

...  in a place with very dark skies so I took my newest telescope there and, WOW, ...

... improve my observing 

Job done, I suggest. ??

Have fun with the hobby and the forum.

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

The 6SE is a great scope, but would agree that the rdf that comes with it leaves a lot to be desired.

I find the rdf useful for slewing onto an alignment target.  Nice to see where your trying to get to.  I find I can actually align the scope pretty well with just the RACI.  Let's me have an eyepiece projection camera set up without having to use the eyepiece to align.

Archived