Narrowband

Lunar X - 2019 FEB 11

CentaurZ

The Lunar X may be seen by telescopic observers in North America during the evening of Monday 2019 FEB 11 for an approximately four-hour period centered on 22:00 CST (FEB 12 - 04:00 UT). The X should appear as the Sun rises on the clustered rims of the craters Blanchinus, La Caille and Purbach, while a waxing nearly Half Moon graces the sky.

This is something to check-off from your astronomical “to-do” list. Photos and descriptions of the Lunar X would be welcome additions to this thread.

TerminatorMo.JPG.421e8d98e9da97c620f0eecacae89f8d.JPG

Follow-up:  About 40 minutes ago I set up the scope and focused on the Moon, and - lo and behold! - there was the Werner X!  About a half-hour earlier than I was expecting.  A very interesting sight, especially as it does appear to hover over the dark side of the terminator.  I must admit though, that had I seen it years ago, I would have simply ascribed the phenomenon to the "mere" interplay of shadows on crater rims, and never given it a second thought.  Still, very exciting to have seen it after hearing about it!

Archived