SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory repairs and re-conditioning

Gina

I went with Mini-Guttering... as used on Greenhouses etc. ISTR not THAT easy to find.
I seem to remember the blighters supplier charged £20+ P&P on the smallest parts? ?
Couldn't find all the "gutter bits", but found standard-to-mini (50mm pipe) adapters.

I too *calculate* "water volume" in worst case (e.g. Wales!) rainfall scenario?
And so far No Probs! After all my efforts my (idiot) neighbour still blames
my *little* observatory for long-term dampness in his adjoining garage! ?

Aside: Dread Summer... He plans to "spin out" the mortar with angle grinder
to repoint his garage and "dig a trench" on (historically) my property! May
have to enlist  "officialdom" to stop it? All I want is a bit peace/rest too? ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to work for me. Since my gutter had to be in two parts (for the roll off!)
I added load-balancing pipes / mini-water butts. The "standard" sized (fixed) hopper
may work to advantage in "catching the drips"? (Anyway, for fellow gutter nerds!) ? 

The felt roof comes about 1/3 way over the 3" guttering. If anything, the water drip
seems to follow the edge of the felt - Around & under rather than "flying off"?!?! ?

All I need is an EPDM roofer? The "budget" roofing felt is completely SHOT now! ?

P.S. An additional "discovery" was light weight UPVC Fascia boards... sold on Ebay.

1.JPG.a1d2b12b1879def6d2ab903acff14487.JPG   2.JPG.485cd5b4846ca31e299019e5dfcff66f.JPG

Been giving a lot of thought to this.  I have several sheets of aluminium that I bought to make a mini second observatory but changed my mind.  I could use this to cover the hole on the plywood and also take it across the full width of the roof and bend over into the guttering.  The EPDM could be taken over this and round the end and up underneath and fixed there (somehow).

Something like this.

771441772_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1313-25-10.thumb.png.5a528d64c3ddf6ea12536ef5d24fdbfb.png

Bending the aluminium afterwards would cause the EPDM to go slack though.

I don't really think you'd need to bend it at all.  Just as long as it finishes perhaps 40mm to 50mm over the gutter I think it could quite happily stay flat.

James

I wondered about that - I'll try modelling that. 

Meanwhile...  Another idea.  Aluminium sheet along the full width of the roof, bent down over a wood strip.  EPDM wrapped over the aluminium and trimmed just below top of guttering.  Secured with a plastic or aluminium strip and screws.

918756916_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1314-02-39.png.0c7b07dea9feb3758e8ac6a4db105602.png

That would probably work.  Personally I'd have a preference for the previous design (without bending the aluminium) because it means the EPDM isn't pierced anywhere water might reasonably be expected to get in any volume.  That may well just be paranoia on my part however :)

James

Depending on the grade of the aluminium, you may get corroding\oxidization, which can be just as problematical later.  I've had, what I thought was 'good' metal outside, only for it to tarnish & 'rust' away, and making it difficult to remove.

Yes, think I'll use the acrylic sheet.  Put one sheet under the EPDM on the south side.  It doesn't need the full 2ft width so I'll cut it to make two pieces to cover the width of the roof.  There doesn't seem to be as much EPDM extending past the roof edge as I thought - or I'm allowing too much overlay with the acrylic sheet, as the EPDM only just reaches the roof after turning under.  I could reduce the overlap to give me a bit of EPDM to clamp.

490509533_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1316-49-48.png.c1e09e1933a0273d54f24b8cec23af80.png

With the acrylic sheet under the EPDM I can just see a tiny bump - it certainly won't stop the roof working.  In view of the EPDM being still stuck firm to the ply on the northern side except for a few inches, I plan to cut the acrylic sheet at an angle so the bump will be at an angle and if it has any affect at all it will direct the rainwater towards the north side where the down pipe will be.  If the forecast is right I should be able to get on with the job tomorrow.

Been out to the observatory and cut the acrylic sheet to fit.  The sun is nice and warm out of the wind but that wind is cold - goes straight through you!!!   Come indoors for a break and warm up.  Need cuppa!  I cut the EPDM off rather raggedly on that end of the roof so can't get an even bit to clamp to the roof frame.  I guess the easiest would be to fix it with clout nails.  Don't know if I still have some.

Archived