SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Computer for Pixinsight processing

Craig123

Hi all

Could anyone advise about a suitable computer for running PI. I want to try the trial version but i'm sure my old lenovo  laptop will not handle it. I have an Imac used for music recording with 8gb Ram, 3.4 Ghz intelcore i5 but think this will also struggle with all the software i have on this as recording also requires large memory eating programmes.

I wondered about a secondhand  Mac book that might fit the specs required for PI. Does anyone have any views on what to look out for or avoid in order to get PI up and running.

I guess once you have the license you cant transfer it to another platform/computer.

Many thanks

I used to use Pixinsight on an i5 laptop with 8gb RAM and a reasonable onboard hraphics card it it worked just fine.

I now use it on a i5 desktop with 16gb RAM and a mid range graphics card and it also works just fine

Both are equipped with SSD's.

I have never tried it on a 'rocket ship uber fast' machine but it does the job just fine.

It does depend on what you are doing though - some processes take a while others fly through.

There is a recommendation on the PixInsight web site. How fast pi is depends very much on your image size. Some processes, such as deconvolution, tgvdenoise, and lhe, can be very time consuming on a less powerfull computer. Otoh, I don't think you need anything special as far as graphics card is concerned. But do invest in a good screen.

There are also recommendations for setting up multiple Temp folders in PI - all pointing to the same place (eg C:\Temp) - but it's better if you have plenty of free space on the disk...

And you can install on multiple devices - from the PI website: https://pixinsight.com/faq/index.html - scroll down to the licence section.

Absolutely not. Our commercial users have the right to install and use PixInsight on any computer they own. The only limit is that only the licensed users have the right to use their copies of PixInsight. Other than the fact that a commercial licensee cannot share his/her copy of our software, we impose no restrictions.

17 minutes ago, daz said:

There are also recommendations for setting up multiple Temp folders in PI - all pointing to the same place (eg C:\Temp) - but it's better if you have plenty of free space on the disk...

And you can install on multiple devices - from the PI website: https://pixinsight.com/faq/index.html - scroll down to the licence section.

Absolutely not. Our commercial users have the right to install and use PixInsight on any computer they own. The only limit is that only the licensed users have the right to use their copies of PixInsight. Other than the fact that a commercial licensee cannot share his/her copy of our software, we impose no restrictions.

Thanks Daz..that is what i needed to look at. Much appreciated

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

There is a recommendation on the PixInsight web site. How fast pi is depends very much on your image size. Some processes, such as deconvolution, tgvdenoise, and lhe, can be very time consuming on a less powerfull computer. Otoh, I don't think you need anything special as far as graphics card is concerned. But do invest in a good screen.

Thanks Wim.The Imac screen is nice enough for my purposes at the moment and it sounds like the spec of my model is ok.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

I used to use Pixinsight on an i5 laptop with 8gb RAM and a reasonable onboard hraphics card it it worked just fine.

I now use it on a i5 desktop with 16gb RAM and a mid range graphics card and it also works just fine

Both are equipped with SSD's.

I have never tried it on a 'rocket ship uber fast' machine but it does the job just fine.

It does depend on what you are doing though - some processes take a while others fly through.

Many thanks Skipper Billy..all helpful in deciding what to do next.

1 hour ago, spillage said:

Hi,

I run it on a older HP i7 3.3ghz with 12gb of ram and it seems to run fine. I think it was under £200. I am sure that you can install your copy of the software onto other pc's with no restrictions.

Yes, thanks Mark..you are right about no restrictions so i can try it on one and if it all locks up look for another solution that doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

1 hour ago, daz said:

And provided you are not trying to process images while recording/mixing music, you should not have an issue with your iMac

What he says.. I've used a similarly specced iMac with no problems. It only struggled when I was exporting loads of time-lapse images out of Lightroom  at the same time... :) 

Archived