Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

(yet another) 3D printed flat field box

GuLinux

Hi,

this is my first design 100% from scratch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3353442

It's a simple flat field box, very compact, and particularly suited for small lenses/telescopes (though it can probably be scaled well enough, as long as you increase the number of leds).

It consists of a base with led strips glued on it, a single spacer (with a hole to let the cables pass), then another 3 spacers with paper glued on top of them, to act as diffusers, and a final perspex panel to diffuse light further and more evenly.

Then I did design a couple of caps, one with a simple hole that has to fit the external diameter of your telescope, so it can fit through, the second with some sort of threaded slit. You can fit a lens step up ring on it, so your lens will just screw onto the cap.

Print quality and wiring are a bit messy, I need to reprint it indeed, but initial testing seems to show the flat field is indeed quite flat. I also use a simple arduino light dimmer to turn on and off and dim the light via serial console commands, but it can work very well even on its own (in my case using 12V batteries).

(*note*: yes, some of the pictures in the link show the leds even through the diffusers, but these are the pictures taken only after I put respectively  the first and second diffusers only.)

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

Archived