Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Linux distro' (MX -18)

Alfian

I've been using a few diifferent flavours of Linux as my main OS for some years now but since 2016 I have settled for a distro' simply called MX Linux. A couple of days ago I thought it was time for a full upgrade so downloaded the latest version MX-18 "Continuum" and I have to say I am really pleased with it and because of having run MX 16  I immediately felt at home with it. In some respects, compared with some distros' the desktop is quite simple and plain, not much eye candy, but its very functional and on my machine (i3/8gb ram/SSD) it runs quite quickly. It loaded up very easily with no hitches and has a very good array of built in software and other stuff can be downloaded using the easy to use new software manager. Downloading Stellarium I was pleased to see it loaded the latest 18.3 incarnation. Configuring my Brother printer meant using the command line but that was easy enough and that's from someone who is still finding their way with it. For someone who mourns the passing of Windows XP I think MX Linux would suit them well. It is a bit different of course, (also better, faster, more functional) but it has that same no nonsense intuitive feel to it. As you can tell I like it a lot but I'm not alone, one notable reviewer in a round up of the best Linux distros' of the year has rated it above Mint which is quite a feather in its cap.  Its easy to download as an iso file and load onto a DVD or memory stick (1.3Gb as a live OS) and have a play with it.  Worth a go on a cloudy miserable day!

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10411

Archived