Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Cyclops

Got my barlow!

It came today and I couldn't wait to try it out.

Now, is it best to put the Barlow between the diagonal and ep or scope body and diagonal? I had it in the diagonal and I noticed that I had to refocus...

The crescent moon was out as we were doing tea and I was hoping it would stay clear. But guess what. It clouded up. Why is it that clouds appear just where I want to be looking. Every *#£& time! Oh well, I did a 360 to the northern aspect where Ursa Major was dangling his tail from the sky. That double double, had to give it a go. Put the 9mm in first, nice showing at 44x. Then I put the barlow in (I shall call him Gary) and yes, it works nicely. The image was dancing about a bit, maybe need to weight my tripod down, but the wind was picking up and I was technically in an alley between our house and the fence. But I could see it quite clear. Then I felt something wet. Looked behind me and it was a wall of white cloud. Spots of cold rain on my scope and bins, indoors we go for a warm cuppa. One of the shortest sessions ever, and I didn't get to see the crescent moon!

IMG_20190207_200548-01-800x726.jpeg

• Like 4

"In its astronomical use, a Barlow lens may be placed immediately before an eyepiece to effectively decrease the eyepiece's focal length by the amount of the Barlow's divergence"  >  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_lens

P.S.  The key words here are: "immediately before an eyepiece".

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo

11 minutes ago, Klitwo said:

"In its astronomical use, a Barlow lens may be placed immediately before an eyepiece to effectively decrease the eyepiece's focal length by the amount of the Barlow's divergence"  >  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_lens

P.S.  The key words here are: "immediately before an eyepiece".

Klitwo

Interesting article. So increasing tube length reduces the ep. fl further, thus increasing effective magnification!

Typical!!! just when your hyped up and a with new bit of kit as well, that`s Murphy`s LAW for you. I was planning to go out before the weather changed, got the roof rolled back,scope ready popped into get a coat and clouded over in a matter of minutes when I got back outside again. Des

• Like 1

Just now, des anderson said:

Typical!!! just when your hyped up and a with new bit of kit as well, that`s Murphy`s LAW for you. I was planning to go out before the weather changed, got the roof rolled back,scope ready popped into get a coat and clouded over in a matter of minutes when I got back outside again. Des

Yea I really wanted to view the moon, haven't looked at it yet. Did anyone on here get good views of the lunar eclipse recently?

Typical!!! just when your hyped up and a with new bit of kit as well, that`s Murphy`s LAW for you. I was planning to go out before the weather changed, got the roof rolled back,scope ready popped into get a coat and clouded over in a matter of minutes when I got back outside again

Same here, when she`s very young she can show her secrets of to the best. There`s list called the Lunar 200, and a nice little book called MOONGAZING by Tom Kerss by Collins which is under a £10, Des

I feel your frustration mate.
It was cloudy and very windy all day, I had to go into town and as I was driving home the sky suddenly cleared, lovely clear blue sky with only a very few clouds. I thought I'd come home have my meal and spend a pleasant evening observing. No chance!!!! By the time I'd eaten it was wall to wall cloud and I've got a new scope I'm dying to try out.
BTW I saw the sliver of the new moon but it's not in a good position to get my scope on it need to wait 'til tomorrow/Saturday.

Glad the barlow is with you now and I hope it does a good job, clouds allowing !

It should work in 3 ways:

- Between the eyepiece and the diagonal (where it should give around the 2x stated on it)

- Between the diagonal barrel and the scope (where it will have a more powerful amplifying effect - around 2.5x-3x probably)

- You can also unscrew the black part of the barlow (where the optics are) and screw that into the end of an eyepiece barrel for around 1.5x

These figures are approx - try it and see what suits you best :smiley:

Barlows do usually need you to re-focus the scope when they go in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I went out for another go. Ill preared in t shirt and leaky slippers but it was worth any discomfort. M42 looked gorgeous, I swear I could see nebulosity, albeit grey, but it was there. Tho the trapezium was hard to get. Sky is not fully clear, a faint cloud haze hanging about. Tried to see Mars, too low down now and it just looks like a red star even at 88x. Some other nice stars in Orion in the belt! Also Auriga, very bright. Castor and Pollux, Procyon and its faint companion. And in binos pretty sure I saw Kemble's doo dah in Cassiopeia, albeit with all white stars. 

• Like 1