Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Hey all.  I recently purchased a Celestron 6SE.  Nice scope, nice tripod and mount, but having a weird problem.  I've done Sky Align and 2 star alignments, no problem at first.  Go to Orion Nebula, lands in the eye piece Everytime.  Only minor centering needed.  Now go to Andromeda, tree in the way.  Ok.  No problem.  Go back to Orion.  Problem.  The scope goes totally rogue, and when i mean totally rogue, I'm talking trying to flip upside down, or aimingthe wrong direction or both.  I had a Meade b4 and it never landed in the eye piece, it was always off a bit, but it never did any crazy stuff like this.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric12345 said:

Hey all.  I recently purchased a Celestron 6SE.  Nice scope, nice tripod and mount, but having a weird problem.  I've done Sky Align and 2 star alignments, no problem at first.  Go to Orion Nebula, lands in the eye piece Everytime.  Only minor centering needed.  Now go to Andromeda, tree in the way.  Ok.  No problem.  Go back to Orion.  Problem.  The scope goes totally rogue, and when i mean totally rogue, I'm talking trying to flip upside down, or aimingthe wrong direction or both.  I had a Meade b4 and it never landed in the eye piece, it was always off a bit, but it never did any crazy stuff like this.  Any ideas?

Acts of randomness sometimes can be traced back to an inappropriate power supply. What do you use to power the mount ? 

You wouldn't think it would matter which way round you clamp the optical tube on the dovetail, but apparently it does. I had this problem, try attaching the optical tube the other way around. Someone tipped me off about this when I had a 4SE.  

Sounds like a power problem to me. There has been discussion about this here previously. If using an external power supply, check that the plug is making proper contact and attach a suitable cable tie to restrain the movement of the cable.

4 hours ago, Eric12345 said:

Sometimes it's nice to go back and revisit the Celestron 6SE instruction manual to check out the correct alignment procedure again....just to make sure you're pushing the right buttons when you need to.  Just in case you need one for a reference...here you go  >

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26535/Celestron-Nexstar-6-Se.html

This to may be helpful...>

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/516707-how-important-is-the-bubble-level/

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo

Very frustrating, I know because I`ve had this problem, and I found that if you do a factory reset this clears it, and make sure that the the mount is level use the bubble level that comes with the scope . Hope this helps, Des

Hi Guys

Use a battery jump start of my SW ED80 on EQ5 mount

Runs for over a week at star festivals

John

jump start pack.jpg

On 08/02/2019 at 05:31, Klitwo said:

The scope goes totally rogue, and when i mean totally rogue, I'm talking trying to flip upside down, or aimingthe wrong direction or both.  

I've had this happen to me with my 12 inch Dob a couple of times. I found the only solution was to turn the whole system off and restart. A pain I know but it worked both times. 

Good luck!