Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

mark81

Binoculars on AZ3 anyone?

I really want to mount my 10x50s and am kicking myself that I gave my camera tripod away a few years back, all I have now is an AZ3...Has anyone tried this? And if so, what sort of adaptor/adaptor plate did you use...

Thanks

Mark

Which Az3 mount flavour do you have?

It might be worth reviewing binocular brackets on FLO to see what is available.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mark81 said:

I really want to mount my 10x50s and am kicking myself that I gave my camera tripod away a few years back, all I have now is an AZ3...Has anyone tried this? And if so, what sort of adaptor/adaptor plate did you use...

Thanks

Mark

I particularly like this clock-driven and/or even slow motion equatorial arrangement for mounting a pair of 10x50s binoculars.  It's a very steady and rigid way to enjoy binocular observing if you want to spend time viewing an object for an extended period of time while tracking on it too..,.>

http://i.picasion.com/pic82/aeb620f0bfc1caf2dfb70cb4b442b87b.gif

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Which Az3 mount flavour do you have?

It might be worth reviewing binocular brackets on FLO to see what is available.

I came across this on FLO, I guess a binocular bracket would go with this.... Maybe I'll give them a ring ..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/camera-adaptor-plate-for-az3.html

1 hour ago, mark81 said:

I came across this on FLO, I guess a binocular bracket would go with this....

It does. I have an AZ3 with that on it. I find the AZ3 too low for binos, though.

Edited by BinocularSky
Looked like my reply was a quote
  • Thanks 1

It would probably be fine if sitting. I have that camera plate on the az3.

When this wind and rain calms down a bit, I'll try it and take some photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here you go. For reference, I am 178 cm (5' 10") tall. (& No, I am not looking at the Sun & Yes, the objective caps are still on 🙂 )

In short, it can be done, but I wouldn't do it: too many legs in a territorial dispute for my liking, and my ageing neck really doesn't like looking up beyond about 45*.

10x50 on AZ3 #1

10x50 on AZ3 #2

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

Here you go. For reference, I am 178 cm (5' 10") tall. (& No, I am not looking at the Sun & Yes, the objective caps are still on 🙂 )

In short, it can be done, but I wouldn't do it: too many legs in a territorial dispute for my liking, and my ageing neck really doesn't like looking up beyond about 45*.

10x50 on AZ3 #1

10x50 on AZ3 #2

Thanks. I thought about the legs last night when I was out with the AZ3 and st80.  Camera tripod it will be.... And being attacked by the slow Mo controls doesn't look too appealing either 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mark81 said:

And being attacked by the slow Mo controls doesn't look too appealing either 🙂

I expected that to be a nuisance, but a slomo in each hand was fine. Alternatively, you could put short knobs on the slomos.

Slomo controls for bins..... 

Looks like performing delicate brain surgery. Not sure I'd ever get used to that style of bin observing.

Whatever works for you.

New 70mm APM on an AZ3 modified many years back with a Beacon Hill simple bracket and weight bar for my old ST120 which would not balance when used at altitude.  Balances fine, need to add a Reddot/laser finder. Nice tight stars with 18mm and 13mm ep.
Bought for daytime usage… as a two-eyed spotting scope, for which I use a lighter tripod as they’ll be pointing horizontally.

Peter

B470B654-1CC7-4657-85DE-DF94ABE79E33.jpeg

• Like 5

On 28/02/2019 at 17:38, PeterW said:

New 70mm APM on an AZ3 modified many years back with a Beacon Hill simple bracket and weight bar for my old ST120 which would not balance when used at altitude.  Balances fine, need to add a Reddot/laser finder. Nice tight stars with 18mm and 13mm ep.
Bought for daytime usage… as a two-eyed spotting scope, for which I use a lighter tripod as they’ll be pointing horizontally.

Peter

B470B654-1CC7-4657-85DE-DF94ABE79E33.jpeg

They look great!  Look forward to reading some reviews and reports

Binoculars and tripods are not [often] a match made in heaven. Fine for level viewing. Poor for anything above tree height.
Any "stalks" on the tripod head will only get in the way. While the owner's neck is apt to complain above quite modest pointing altitudes.
You don't even have the luxury of being able to tilt your head sideways to look upwards through a single eyepiece.
Which probably explains the plethora of astronomical binocular mounts [usually parallelograms] designed for reclining chairs.
I really wouldn't start from here. A binoviewer on a star diagonal with a small refractor is very likely to be far more satisfactory.
Though much more expensive, unless you already own top end binos.  Like Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, et al.

• Like 1

Very quick run with the 70mm and stock 18mm ep under urban skies and scudding clouds. M35 was very nice with delicate chains of tiny stars, more impressive that the Pleiades (possibly as they were behind a tree). Also got hints of M1, which was a pleasant surprise.  We’d to design a finder bracket for them. AZ3 working nicely, probably bring a chair out next time.

PeterW

• Like 1

Re Adapter plates. You will have no real weight on the plate. So just use a piece of plywood with a couple of small bolts. This is how I mount my little PST on an AZ3. To be honest, the AZ3 is pretty hopeless for mounting anything more substantial.

Paul