SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PST or Lunt 50 focuser whic his better, as it is?

Hi
Simple question:

PST or Lunt 50 focuser which his better, as it is?

I do know about the Lunt 50 Helical hell and do know Lunt 50 should be intrinsic to be a better scope as it is 50mm!

But as is and eventually replace focus ...

Thanks experts

Both focusers are adequate but no more than that. People that are particular about focusers tend to replace the Lunt, specially if imaging, the PST cannot really be replaced but can be improved by adding a larger focus knob. I've never found it too difficult to focus with any type of focuser as yet, however I'm mostly visual.   ?

The Lunt 50 helical focuser is not really up to holding a camera. I also couldn’t achieve focus with it using a DSLR at prime focus. EP projection will work but it’s cumbersome and too much for the set up. My ASI174 was ok but I quickly upgraded to the 60 with the Feather Touch.

After a while, I took the plunge on a Moonlight focusser for my LS50DS: it really is much, much nicer to use - the fine focus response really helps to bring out the best views and get things real sharp on the disc - I do love it.  However, for visual with light plossls, I could certainly still enjoy the scope with the orig helical focusser.

Archived