Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

jimjam11

Permanent but Temporary Obs?

I have had an AVX mount for a few years now and each time I want to use it I lift it complete into position. I have optimised my cabling such that I have a single power cable and a single usb cable running from the mount to my laptop which lives in a locked summerhouse. Using Sharpcap for polar alignment I have got my setup time down to anywhere from 7mins to about 40 if it doesnt want to plate solve.

Recently I got an ASI1600 and everything on my mount/scope is now automated (focus, pointing, filter, etc) which works brilliantly with SGPro but I am now over capacity and 1" resolution is pushing the AVX. I am therefore in the process of upgrading to a CEM60, and I have also added a Polemaster to try and eliminate the plate-solve inconsistency in Sharpcap. The CEM60 is light considering its payload capacity, but it is a big beast with the tri-pier so I think carrying it fully assembled might be challenging!

I have for years thought about some kind of structure to house everything and further reduce setup time, but I want something I can remove and store from late April to Sep when we actually use the garden!

If I was going for a proper, permanent structure I think a pulsar dome would win but I don't believe these can be setup/dismantled at will? It doesn't need to be large, just enough for the equipment to live/run in safely. I dont think the Keter store it out max is quite large enough otherwise this could be perfect?

I have looked at some of the keter plastic sheds which should be light and maintenance free, but I dont know how easy they are to build/dismantle? Also unsure how easy it would be to make the roof removable? I think my desire for something I can take apart eliminates any kind of wooden structure? I did wonder about the skyshed pod but they seem to be difficult to source in the uk and I still dont think they are easily built/dismantled?

Is anyone aware of anything which could do this job?

TIA,

I don`t know if this is any use, but I seem to remember somewhere on the DIY Observatories thread an article on someone who used a sentinel type shed for telescope,and he had it on rollers/rails and just pushed it off when needed. Hope this helps. Des

I was going to make a similar suggestion.

Here is a link to the thread relating to the Tardis observatory post refurb. The last image is an animation so you get the idea as to haow it works.

One of these with a couple of hefty handles each side and you could lift the Tardis elsewhere when you want the garden back.

38 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I was going to make a similar suggestion.

Here is a link to the thread relating to the Tardis observatory post refurb. The last image is an animation so you get the idea as to haow it works.

One of these with a couple of hefty handles each side and you could lift the Tardis elsewhere when you want the garden back.

I'm flattered that my Tardis gets a mention!

It works very well, and is a way of having a functional observatory AND an interesting garden feature. Takes just a couple of minutes to roll it away and get started.

18 hours ago, jimjam11 said:

the Keter store it out max is quite large enough

I bought one with the intention of sussing it out for keeping the telescope in.  It ended up housing the wheely bins that it was designed for!

I have a Keter 6X6 plastic obs'y, it has roll off roof but before I converted it I used to just undo the big plastic bolts and lift the roof off and on, there are at least 2 members on here still doing it this way I think.

The whole thing can be assembled by one person in a few hours and flat packed again probably quicker.

It needs a solid base, something like paving slabs could double up as a bit of a patio area when vacant.

All the extra modding needed is some building straps along the top of the walls to keep it straight when you take the roof off, I also fitted a couple of bars made out of wardrobe hanging rails to make it easier to lift off.

Maintenance is just a power wash once a year.

Dave

On 07/02/2019 at 13:53, Davey-T said:

I have a Keter 6X6 plastic obs'y, it has roll off roof but before I converted it I used to just undo the big plastic bolts and lift the roof off and on, there are at least 2 members on here still doing it this way I think.

The whole thing can be assembled by one person in a few hours and flat packed again probably quicker.

It needs a solid base, something like paving slabs could double up as a bit of a patio area when vacant.

All the extra modding needed is some building straps along the top of the walls to keep it straight when you take the roof off, I also fitted a couple of bars made out of wardrobe hanging rails to make it easier to lift off.

Maintenance is just a power wash once a year.

Dave

Did you have a thread on this Dave?

9 hours ago, Alan White said:

Did you have a thread on this Dave?

Not a proper build thread but a few pic's here.

Dave

Here's my temporary solution to a permanent obsy. A tool shed from the local K-Rauta, minus its flooring. Hopefully I have time this summer for a permanent solution.

Btw, the cabling will be sorted out once I have the permanent obsy in place.

IMG_20190212_203608.thumb.jpg.25d475c873b04f64c87fb5c1cd100ec8.jpg

• Like 1