Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics RedCat 51 APO

FLO

Meet the new William Optics RedCat 51 APO ? 

A compact 51mm f/4.9 Petzval (4-elements) refractor that includes FPL-53 and FPL-51 glass. 

William Optics claim a 44mm flat-field imaging circle (so covers a full-frame sensor). We cannot confirm that yet but we think if it covers the smaller APS-C then that alone will be impressive! 

It also has a nice integrated field rotator that includes a slot for 48mm filters. Oh, and that red anodising! ?

ETA end-Feb late-March. 

redcat_main1%5B4%5D.jpgredcat_main1%5B3%5D.jpg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, knobby said:

It's a glorified SLR camera lens ?

Only some camera lenses are more expensive and don't have the colour correction and flat field, field rotator, or built in focus mask. 

Still I'm weighing this lens against some L-glass. I just think this is a probably going to be a better option for astro. 

29 minutes ago, knobby said:

It's a glorified SLR camera lens ?

... designed and manufactured for astrophotography, from CNC machined aluminium, with a smooth calibrated helical focuser, a focus tension ring, a field rotator graduated by degree, a slot for 48mm filters and a reversible dovetail. The first one to arrive will be mine! ? 

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Only some camera lenses are more expensive and don't have the colour correction and flat field, field rotator, or built in focus mask. 

Still I'm weighing this lens against some L-glass. I just think this is a probably going to be a better option for astro. 

Only if "L" is for Leica. I think it will have to be going some to beat my 180 mm f/3.4 Leitz Apo-Telyt-R. Having said which, if I didn't already have that lens it would be on my hit-list.

• Like 1

Pure Eye Candy, and some. 
I think the name Desirie fits this beauty. Sorry fellas, I'm waxing a bit lyrical here, but I know now what I want for my Birthday,
which is near Xmas, but I'm a patient  person.

The saying, "The Best Things Come In Small Bundles" is apt too.

Ron. 

Edited by barkis

4 hours ago, FLO said:

... designed and manufactured for astrophotography, from CNC machined aluminium, with a smooth calibrated helical focuser, a focus tension ring, a field rotator graduated by degree, a slot for 48mm filters and a reversible dovetail. The first one to arrive will be mine! ? 

Steve

Can i have the second...?? ?