SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

QSI Vertical Banding Issue

PhotoGav

9 minutes ago, Jonk said:

If this issue only happens in cold temperatures

The banding was apparent in mine at an ambient of around +5c and a sensor temperature of -15c. If it is there you will see the banding most clearly in calibrated darks so make a master bias as you have done, you won't easily see the banding in the bias, and use that to calibrate a master dark of at least 50 frames. The banding will then show clearly, if it exists, with your camera.

( my master dark image in the forum post showing the banding was 100 frames @ 300 seconds )

Edited by Oddsocks
Added text in brackets

Indeed, the camera needs to go in the fridge overnight running 30 minute darks to make a master dark before I decide if there's an issue that a fw upgrade is required to fix.

Well, I've put the camera into a freezer on the lowest setting, and with the camera on / cooler off, it was reporting -0.5 temperature after stabilising for around 3 hours, so I was happy to proceed.

I ran continuous 30 minute darks overnight (at -20 sensor temperature) but last night, I checked the 1st one before bed and the banding seems to be there, faint but noticeable when autostretched - and I know it's not an illusion, as I asked for a 2nd opinion and it was confirmed, as she didn't know what I could see beforehand.

I'll stack 50 or so darks later tonight and post the result, but I think I have the same issue and hopefully, all being well, the FW update will fix it.

I've stopped at 46 x 1800s darks, calibrated with the 300 master bias, and stacked.

The freezer internal surface temperature was around -10 degC and the camera body surface temperature was around -2 degC.

Double screen stretched the resulting stack, saved as PNG, and here's the result.

I would say that's pretty conclusive?!

1492299487_Masterdark46-20.thumb.png.d4d227931a3f70c6c9ee046780ec2523.png

I've followed the instructions (thanks @Oddsocks) and the camera has been updated successfully.

1993475406_Camerafpgaupdatedwithnoerrors.png.6d6153960037837489a30127529227b7.png  173605331_CameraFWupdatedwithnoerrors.png.bb6059233453e8a2aed3e0e22c57388e.png

I've put it back in the freezer at around -10 degC air temperature and will start a full run of 100 x 1800s -20 degC dark frames, followed by maybe 2000 bias frames.

This should show, after calibrating and stacking, that the banding has gone and give me a master bias and a master 1800s -20 degC dark to use for next season, should I manage to get any imaging done.

Thanks @PhotoGav for having the same issue and posting it, otherwise like Oddsocks and maybe others, I would have been none the wiser.

Cheers all.

• Like 2

Well done @Jonk, always slightly nerve racking when you hit ‘start’ on that update. I look forward to seeing the post update master dark as the pre update version is blatantly afflicted with the banding issue.

39 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I look forward to seeing the post update master dark 

Funnily enough, so do I...!

It's running as we speak, 2500 bias followed by 150 darks so Monday evening I should be able to report back.

Edited by Jonk

Sorry for the late repsonse...

Here's the result of the FW upgrade.

2508 bias to make a Master Bias.

150 x 1800s -20Deg C darks, calibrated and stacked to produce the Master Dark.

All this in a freezer that had roughly a -15 deg C internal surface temperature and -5 Deg C camera surface temperature (measured with an IR thermometer).

Image screen stretched and saved as PNG to share here.

I would say it's now sorted, wouldn't you?

1169398930_Masterdark1800s-20DegC.thumb.png.da27cc5fcbb832887b0871f68a306762.png

• Like 1

A FW upgrade on the weather would be nice!

Agan, cheers for bringing this up, at least I won't have the issue when it finally comes to do some imaging. 👍🏻

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hi

Can can anyone help please. Had my QSI 683 for over 5 years now and everything was fine util recently when this banding issue came up. Nothing has changed on my set up , so

I changed the USB lead and power supply but same old banding issue appeared as what appears in this thread. Have spoken to QSI who tells me the firmware update it not available any more !!.

Does someone have a copy of the firmware update or another fix that can help.

Regards

John

6 hours ago, john adams said:

Does someone have a copy of the firmware update or another fix that can help.

I should be able to dig it out tomorrow, it’ll be on a server somewhere. I’ll let you know.

I should have the files and instructions together somewhere, I just need time to get on the pc and find them.

They were sent to me via a dropbox link so I’ll have to forward them to you in a similar fashion.

22 hours ago, john adams said:

HI

Thanks for the update , when a connect the camera to the updater it ask for the location for the new drivers and firmware do you have these as well please.

Thanks

John

I've PM'd you the files, hopefully it works for you.

Please read the instructions!

• 7 months later...

Hello and Happy New Year to all

can someone please foward me the firmware files (7.1.1 and FPGA: 0.2.1.2) for my 683qsi.

I am having the known vertical banding

thanking you in advance

UPDATE Found them! thanks!!

thanks

Edited by pavlos

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to resurrect this thread as the original banding has reappeared on my camera, so I thought I’d see if anyone else‘s had?

It has also developed a pixel bleed for every pixel to the right hand side, like a smear effect.

Sounds like a cap is on its way out causing voltage instability. I suspect the fw 7.1.1 was to widen a tolerance or timing to counteract it. Mine has probably drifted over time and has gotten worse.

Nonetheless I’ve been in contact with Atik and will need to send it in, worst case scenario it’ll need a new mainboard.