SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Horse Head in HaRGB

peter shah

Imaged with my AG12 and H35. A massive task to tame Alnitak, it took over 12hours to process this one. Exposure times were 4x900s in H-alpha, 4x900s in Red, 4x820s in Blue and 4x640s in Green. Processed in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Comments welcome 

thanks for looking :thumbsup:

The Horse Head final Stars.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A classic composition and this is one of the best renditions ever. Alnitak remains bright (dammit, it is bright!) but the hours of processing are totally invisible and that's what counts...

Olly

Thank you Olly.... Bright...you aint kidding....I really thought a few times I wasn't going to get there

Stunning Peter, absolutely stunning. Not easy to get that amount of definition and distinction in the area immediately left and underneath the horsehead itself, the true context of it is seen much more easily this way.

This is not a criticism, just a query, with such obvious care taken over the processing, you opted to leave the satellite trails, and I just wondered why? 

Cheers

Tim

7 hours ago, peter shah said:

Imaged with my AG12 and H35. A massive task to tame Alnitak, it took over 12hours to process this one. Exposure times were 4x900s in H-alpha, 4x900s in Red, 4x820s in Blue and 4x640s in Green. Processed in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Comments welcome 

7 hours ago, peter shah said:

Comments welcome 

Wow. You certainly tamed it. This is the best example of a great image with almost no data (Olly, this is the image to which I referred even though I had not seen it yet).  Not only is this a great image with a grand total of 16 subs , it’s the BEST example of this target IMO

Rodd

6 hours ago, Tim said:

Stunning Peter, absolutely stunning. Not easy to get that amount of definition and distinction in the area immediately left and underneath the horsehead itself, the true context of it is seen much more easily this way.

This is not a criticism, just a query, with such obvious care taken over the processing, you opted to leave the satellite trails, and I just wondered why? 

Cheers

Tim

Thank you Tim. The whole area is plagued with aircraft and satellites. if you look around this rough stack you will see how many I had to remove...Still got a couple to do. You can even see where the navigation lights of and aircraft has flashed and shown its engine housing as its flown across the FOV....and there is a nasty reflection from Alnitak which although I did a repair was mostly cropped out. If I had have don more subs I could of easily removed them with an SDmask or sigma clip stack.

aircraft.jpg

Stack.jpg

9 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Great work Peter, well done! I’m interested to know why and how you arrived at the different exposure times for the R, G & B filters?

I have weighted my exposure to give a more or less correct colour balance. This saves on wasted exposure times where you would only process the heaviest signal only part way to get the correct colour. This method I can give equal curve stretches to each frame. It also makes colour balancing easier.

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Wow. You certainly tamed it. This is the best example of a great image with almost no data (Olly, this is the image to which I referred even though I had not seen it yet).  Not only is this a great image with a grand total of 16 subs , it’s the BEST example of this target IMO

Rodd

you are very kind Rodd.... Alnitak was extremely difficult to control

36 minutes ago, Brian Maurer said:

Incredible!!!

thank you :thumbsup:

Archived