Cone Nebula LRGB

Rodd

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Rodd said:

Am I moving in the right direction?

HaSLRGB-7aALT.thumb.jpg.9f2b0054d99026ec84bcad452b63702c.jpg

Certainly the right direction and note that the blue seen in the very first one you posted is now reappearing. Just watch the black point as ToothDr implies. (The dust is looking very dark in places.)

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

(The dust is looking very dark in places.)

Its looking down right pitchy.  One must be careful where one processes from--Room lighting is more critical than I thought.  Oh well, I really should start from the beginning anyway--this one is all tweeked out

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Its looking down right pitchy.  One must be careful where one processes from--Room lighting is more critical than I thought.  Oh well, I really should start from the beginning anyway--this one is all tweeked out

Rodd

A lot of my final images are blends of two or more processing attempts.

Olly

33 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A lot of my final images are blends of two or more processing attempts.

Olly

Me too.   It strange but this image looks better at full resolution than it does small--the opposite of what I am used to.  There is a haze around the center that I was trying to combat--which lead to the contrast issue.  I tried to tweak it back but to no avail--This is as good as I can make it without a restart.  Much less contrast.  Still a bit purpleish in some areas and the dust is still a bit dark in places  Maybe too orange.  Thanks for your input Olly

Rodd

AAA2.thumb.jpg.637800ac1547e3519e36f83f5b73eace.jpg

Nice, but your reds are turning orange. The next to last version has colour closest to the pre-Ha version.

Although they represent a minority opinion my own HaLRGB images of the Cone are distinctly magenta because I tried to remain true to what I found in the RGB data.

Olly

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice, but your reds are turning orange. The next to last version has colour closest to the pre-Ha version.

Although they represent a minority opinion my own HaLRGB images of the Cone are distinctly magenta because I tried to remain true to what I found in the RGB data.

Olly

I found magenta hues in mine too, especially in the bottom right-hand corner, but I thought that was not good so I did my best to reduce them by lowering blue a tad--maybe that was the wrong thing to do.  Ah well.  At least I know the data can render a respectable image.  I will start from scratch keeping all of this in mind.  I think the method I used for adding the Ha was pretty good (if not a bit over complicated).  I think I will revisit M78 with that approach too--I was never satisfied with the Ha in that image.   

Rodd

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

found magenta hues in mine too, especially in the bottom right-hand corner, but I thought that was not good so I did my best to reduce them by lowering blue a tad

You mentioned the keyword here: hues.

Have you tried adjusting colours with the hues curve in curvestransformation? It's similar to the various colour blending methods in PS.

On 07/02/2019 at 09:00, ollypenrice said:

Don't you have Photoshop now? If so, why not try adding Ha to red in blend mode lighten?

Quelle Horreur! ?

On 07/02/2019 at 12:32, Rodd said:

I don't use PS--just PI.  

?

Blend mode lighten is Max(Red, Ha) in PixInsight pixelmath. Have a look here for some other formulas.

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archivo/2010/04/21/formulas-for-Photoshop-blending-modes.html

(Oh, ? implied of course.)

10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

You mentioned the keyword here: hues.

Have you tried adjusting colours with the hues curve in curvestransformation? It's similar to the various colour blending methods in PS.

I am not very good with the curves tool--I use it well normally, like RGB manipulation (contrast boosts or star reduction), or individual color manipulation, or overall saturation manipulation.  How do you manipulate hue?

Rodd

8 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Quelle Horreur! ?

?

Blend mode lighten is Max(Red, Ha) in PixInsight pixelmath. Have a look here for some other formulas.

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archivo/2010/04/21/formulas-for-Photoshop-blending-modes.html

(Oh, ? implied of course.)

Great!!! Thank you.  iI am a fan of pixel math--well, I should say I have been pretty satisfied with the results, though the tool itself is a bit cumbersome (The light vortex tutorial for adding Ha to RGB using M42 as an example almost did me in!).

16 minutes ago, Rodd said:

The light vortex tutorial for adding Ha to RGB using M42 as an example almost did me in!

:grin:

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge. But I think that it's about the same as the nbrgb script. I've used Merciecas method on occasion, but now I mainly use the script and change the parameters to taste.

If you really want to go for a different approach, try this method. I'm sure it can be done, but I've never succeeded.

https://pixinsight.com/tutorials/narrowband/

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

:grin:

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge. But I think that it's about the same as the nbrgb script. I've used Merciecas method on occasion, but now I mainly use the script and change the parameters to taste.

If you really want to go for a different approach, try this method. I'm sure it can be done, but I've never succeeded.

https://pixinsight.com/tutorials/narrowband/

that looks.....alien.  i will try it though.  I found the nbrgd script very different than the tutorial method.  The tutorial method is similar to adding Ha to galaxies.  Vicent Perez taught us a pixel math method that involved removing the red continuum from the Ha ("clean" the Ha), then make a mask and apply it to the galaxy and add Ha using a formula something like ($T +(ha-(r(ha))*.3, with $T for G and B.  But I lost the cheat sheet he gave us and can never remember the darn formula.  There are 2, one for adding Ha to the red channel and one for adding it to the lum.  For galaxies, it works great.  I think the Light Vortex tutorial is similar to this but with dastardly difficult to remember formulae.  Maybe they are in fact teh same.  Not sure.  I will try the Light Vortex on M&* and see if I get the same results (I used the script and Vcents method on that--ended up liking Vicent's method better).

Rodd

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Quelle Horreur! ?

:icon_mrgreen: Nordic madman!!! :icon_mrgreen:

How to boil an egg in Pixinsight: Normalise projected atmospheric pressure based on mean equatorial atmospheric pressure values today using Pixelmath PressureNorm.  Heat water to interpolated spline value. (Apply LowWaterVolumeCorrectionIndex if volume of egg is less than 0.07% of water volume or use PercentageMassSpecificHeat in PixelThermaMass. If using a cold spoon to insert egg use Pixelmath to add SpoonSpecificHeat to total ThermicInputValue.

?lly

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

How to boil an egg in Pixinsight: Normalise projected atmospheric pressure based on mean equatorial atmospheric pressure values today using Pixelmath PressureNorm.  Heat water to interpolated spline value. (Apply LowWaterVolumeCorrectionIndex if volume of egg is less than 0.07% of water volume or use PercentageMassSpecificHeat in PixelThermaMass. If using a cold spoon to insert egg use Pixelmath to add SpoonSpecificHeat to total ThermicInputValue.

Olly you forgot the most important step - “iteration”. You may need “process” several dozen eggs before you get one that is edible.

Am I moving in the right direction?

HaSLRGB-7aALT.thumb.jpg.9f2b0054d99026ec84bcad452b63702c.jpg

I like this version the best.   

It is interesting to see other people also do a combination of several processing attempts, which I have done sometimes as well.

Carole

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

?lly

What about water chemistry?  Certainly, that is critical when normalizing with the coefficient of Brownian motion (using previews!)

Rodd

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I like this version the best.   

Thanks, Carole.  yes--Blends are pretty useful, especially when there is a feature or region that comes out perfectly in one, but is hard to isolate.

Rodd

13 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

Olly you forgot the most important step - “iteration”. You may need “process” several dozen eggs before you get one that is edible.

Come now, Mrs G, no sane person would attempt to eat an egg boiled in Pixinsight! Guests sometimes offer me such eggs but I take them into Photoshop and run Noel's Actions, Render Egg Edible after which they are not too bad. (If the said egg has been hanging around too long on the guest's hard drive I must say that Pixinsight's SCNR green has resulted in fewer fatalities than Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Hasta La VIsta Green but this may just be a sampling effect...

Olly

Thanks, Carole.  yes--Blends are pretty useful, especially when there is a feature or region that comes out perfectly in one, but is hard to isolate.

One such example is processing M81/M82 as they totally different approaches, and then blending the two images together.

Carole 

13 minutes ago, carastro said:

One such example is processing M81/M82 as they totally different approaches, and then blending the two images together.

Carole 

Even more dramatic--you can fully replace portions of one image with portions of another in PI using masks.

Rodd+

16 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Even more dramatic--you can fully replace portions of one image with portions of another in PI using masks.

Rodd+

Oooh, Pixinsight is weakening. In its fundamentalist infancy this would have been considered a typical Photoshop heresy. Popery! It's time for the Inquisitors to step in and halt the slide. Cardinal Biggles, bring in the comfy chair!  Before you know it Pixinsight will be confessing that it's a graphics program and that would never do...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

?lly

You forgot the mandatory mask.

"And that's all I have to say 'bout that."

Archived