Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Cemers1

PHD2 - Not guiding after making adjustments

Hi Guys, hoping someone can help me with the guiding issues Iv'e been having. First of all my setup is:

• Explore Scientific ED80 Triplet 
  • Skywatcher EQ5 mount with synscan 
  • Orion mini 50mm guide scope
  • Altair GPCAM2 AR0130 Mono (as the guide camera)

I did my polar alignment and 3-star alignment, which was spot on. So I set up the GPCAM2 and opened PHD2 where I selected "Altair Camera" and "On-Camera". It was all in focus, kept it on the default settings and I selected "auto select star", then it said I was guiding (I can hear the mount making small adjustments). A message popped up saying I needed to increase the max RA duration, then I needed to increase the max DEC duration, which I did gradually by 1000ms each time the message appeared. Still no progress.

So I restarted the process with the max RA and DEC duration as 8000ms and it said I needed to eliminate the source of the problems.

(I HAVE ATTACHED IMAGES OF THIS)

I'm not sure why it not working and if I'm doing something wrong. But if someone knows where I'm going wrong, or has any advise it will be greatly appreciated!

:)

Oh and just let me know if you need any more info, because Iv'e probably missed something out. 

Thanks again 🔭

2500ms.thumb.JPG.eee92d518bf086b122b1070d51177204.JPG8000ms.thumb.JPG.55c43c0d191944bc855f093b034e3c36.JPG

Check you're not on a hot pixel, it shouldn't need anywhere near that movement to track the star.

Dave

• Like 1

Yeah balanced and polar aligned,

But I'll double check that I'm not on a hot pixel next time there's a clear night, hopefully that's all the issue was, thanks Dave

Are you using EQMod?

Did you run calibration also?

Edited by Z3roCool

Can you attach the guide log? It will help with the diagnosis.

I think it is not guiding at all. A hotpixel seems to be an usual suspect.

When I switched from using Metaguide to PHD2 this video was invaluable.

As soon as I followed his advice I was guiding excellently, I have then continued to refine from there.

HTH

Probably guiding on a hot pixel, so do as Louise suggests.

Then set Star Minimum HFD (pixels)  to say 1.5 so that PHD2 can't se!ect a single pixel to guide on.

Michael 

A hot pixel usually results in no corrections at all. This is a fast moving pixel. Maybe it locked onto a satellite. A guide log would be really helpful.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.