Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Hi all

I'm an 46 year old observer from a couple of decades ago who had kids 17 years ago and quickly found afterwards that I needed sleep when the sun went down rather than lugging a telescope out into the cold night.  So the hobby fell by the wayside in favour of Bear in the Big Blue House and The Wiggles.

Other hobbies have come and gone, and now the kids are getting to the age I can kick them out I'm eager to get my old telescopes out again.  I long ago sold my C9.25 but still have an Orion Optics OMC140 Deluxe, a couple of 120mm F/8.3 Skywatcher refractors (one bought maybe 5 years ago on a whim from a friend who wasn't interested anymore and only wanted £100 with an EQ5 mount), a Celestron ST80 refractor and a Zeiss Telementor up in the loft!  Along with these I have a Vixen GPDX mount on a heavy duty field tripod with Skysensor 2000 (if it still works), the EQ5 mount I got with the second 120mm, plus an old AZ3-2 (I think) mount which is covered in cobwebs now and crunches when you use the slow motion controls and so in desperate need for some TLC.

So I've been looking around at what the latest greatest things are and being a big Mak fan am drawn to the Skywatcher 180 Pro, but I really don't want to just buy a new scope just yet, I'd prefer to use what I've got an see if I can rekindle my passion for it.  That said, one thing that did used to stop me observing sometimes was when I was feeling a bit lazy and I just couldn't be bother hauling the GPDX outside, going through the Skysensor setup and alignment etc, and so I really do want to get a new AltAz mount that is man enough to handle the OMC140 and allow me to quickly grab it and get observing with minimal fuss.  The SkyTee 2 mount interests me and there's a good chance I would get that in the future, especially if I do decide that the Skywatcher 180 is just too appealing to ignore.  But at the moment I'd prefer something that was sufficient rather than overkill, because I know I'd use it more then.  So looking at the reviews the AZ5 looks like it will be perfect for this and it seems it will handle the OMC no problem.  But I already have the GPDX field tripod, the EQ5 tubular steel tripod and the Celestron aluminium tripod from the AZ3, and so I'm hoping to be able to use one of these and just buy the mount head only.  I've seen some posts on here where members have used the AZ5 with other astronomical tripods, but just wondered what was involved in this and if there would be anything else I would need to buy?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on using the AZ5 with this kind of tripod?

Thanks in advance

Mark

The AZ5 has a standard photographic tripod fitting.

I use mine on an EQ5 tripod, but I had to buy an adapter to convert between 3/8" and the M10 fitting of the EQ5 tripod.

FLO sell a couple of alternatives, one from Berlebach and on un-named.

Tony

I have the same tripod as AZ5 with a different mount anf imo there is no way that the az5 tripod is up to the 180.

13 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I have the same tripod as AZ5 with a different mount anf imo there is no way that the az5 tripod is up to the 180.

Hi Ian

I wouldn't be using the AZ5 for the 180, this would be used with the OMC140 I already have which is only around 3.5kg.  If I do decide to get the 180 I would be using it on my EQ5 or get a bigger AltAz mount for it if I want a quick setup

57 minutes ago, IvIark said:

Hi Ian

I wouldn't be using the AZ5 for the 180, this would be used with the OMC140 I already have which is only around 3.5kg.  If I do decide to get the 180 I would be using it on my EQ5 or get a bigger AltAz mount for it if I want a quick setup

Phew that's a relief!