Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

lukebl

Spiral Galaxy NGC 2841

I captured this stunning galaxy in Ursa Major with my new 200mm f/8 Ritchey-Chretien. Apart from the way oversaturated stars appear, I'm very pleased with the performance of this scope. It's nice to be able to use a relatively long focal length (1600mm) to capture these smaller objects, without requiring reducers or correctors.

Its apparent size is 8.1' x 3.5', and according to Wiki it is an inclined unbarred spiral galaxy exhibiting a prominent inner ring structure, discovered on 9 March 1788 by William Herschel. Initially thought to be about 30 million light years distant, a 2001 Hubble Space Telescope survey of the galaxy's Cepheid variables determined that it was approximately 14.1 megaparsecs or 46 million light years distant.

Atik428ex. 6h 30m of 300s exposures Luminance. 15 x 60s RGB each channel, 2x binned. Field of view 13.1 x 18.2 arcmin. Off-axis quiding with a QHY-5ii mono.

32050499417_720905549a_h.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 26

Ooo pretty. Great job. Can’t wait to start getting some galaxies under my belt :)

That is very nice Luke.  Well done.

Carole 

Very nice - what a tidy little galaxy! It can't have had many interactions with its neighbours (a bit like me ;) )

Thanks for the nice comments, folks.

Yes, it is a very neat and tidy galaxy with not much apparently going on!