Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

SamAndrew

IC 1848 Soul Nebula Narrowband

The weather has been fairly horrific over the last few months in the UK, but I was able to accumulate a reasonable amount of data for this over several nights during January.

The OIII data is fairly weak and suffering from poorer transparency so I ended up using the Ha data as luminance to try and control the noise. Some of the OIII frames didn't line up perfectly either, which has resulted in clipping the nebula on the bottom left (Lesson learnt - I'm using "centre on" feature in SGP now to stop that happening again)

This is the same data set as I posted on Sunday for my take on IC 1871; I've experimented with dozens of different palettes and feel this is my best result so far, HHSO with some selective colour tweaks. It just about stands up at full resolution. I haven't paid much attention to the stars.

All in 5 minute subs:

• 3h10m Ha 
  • 2h30m SII
  • 2h30m OIII

Feedback welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Sam

IC_1848_HHSO_8h10m_DBE.jpg

Edited by SamAndrew
  • Like 17

Looks brilliant to me! Just about to pull the trigger on an ASI183MM and some Astronomik NB Filters so hopefully will get something like this...if it is this good I will be stoked :)

• Thanks 1

Yes the switch to a mono has been a game changer; never imagined I'd be getting results like this from my location :) 

• Like 1

Hi Sam :) Very nice work! It's a great nebula. It's a slightly unusual colour balance (with the Ha luminance?), but the detail is really excellent! Try removing some green perhaps?

Edited by Shibby
  • Thanks 1

Thanks :) I will have another play; I think I felt removing the green left it a bit flat, although I do have a few green stars in there. Yes I think the Ha luminance has caused this unusual result, I quite like it :)