SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crab Nebula through the Esprit 100

Jarvo

So tonight started out with the intention of attempting to capture the Crab. Got everything set up and the battery died in the camera. Observing it is then...

I decided to still pursue the Crab visually, any excuse to get viewing time with the Esprit. I used my 15mm Nagler to give me 36 x magnification plus the Televue \ Astronomik UHC Nebustar filter. 

It took me a while to figure out the location of the Crab in the finderscope, at 9x50 in theory it should have been viewable in the finder but no luck. 

So I trained the finder on the place where it should be and started tracking. 

It took me a long time to barely glimpse the faintest of a smudge. I was hoping to see at least a clearly defined shape (not expecting any detail nternal structure) but my skies would not permit anything like any detail. 

I genuinely believe the slightest bit of light pollution can cause havoc with this object. My skies are not the best and getting worse sadly. 

To compare, I then trained the scope on the Blinking Nebula and found it immediately. Now the Blinking Nebula is magnitude 10 but with a more concentrated  surface brightness whereas the Crab is magnitude 8.4 but the light is spread over a wider area. 

The Blinking Nebula lived up to its name. Flashed bright and dull using averted vision but showed a nice disk size once I had put in an 8mm Radian to take the mag up to 68x . 

To be honest I was hoping for more but maybe I should be thankful for a glimpse of the Crab under my light polluted skies. 

Thanks for looking. 

Jarvo

That sounds about right for the aperture and it's not exactly a startling object in a 10 inch either, unless the sky is very dark indeed when it does start to take on some form and structure.

A good example of a famous deep sky object that can be rather lacklustre visually.

10 minutes ago, John said:

That sounds about right for the aperture and it's not exactly a startling object in a 10 inch either, unless the sky is very dark indeed when it does start to take on some form and structure.

A good example of a famous deep sky object that can be rather lacklustre visually.

Agreed.  Sky quality is everything with M1.  I have seen it in an 20" in a light polluted back garden and it had no detail at all.  Then, seen it through a 10" in very dark skies and it was a sight to behold.  

Don't feel bad, I can only just see the Crab in my C8, and I've always failed to see it convincingly with less aperture than this. 

I always pick an EP with an exit pupil of around 2mm for max contrast too. 

7 hours ago, Jarvo said:

I genuinely believe the slightest bit of light pollution can cause havoc with this object. My skies are not the best and getting worse sadly. 

Totally correct in my experience. I took years to see this object and it turned out all I needed was a properly dark sky. I think I recall seeing it in my 15x50is binoculars too, so if your skies are dark it is relatively easy.

Archived