Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M45 - Guided on a Star Adventurer

I got some interesting, and passable - for me - results with my Altair 60EDF, ASI1600MM and Star Adventurer rig - unguided.

So the other night I decided to try out it's guided performance and was really impressed - no eggs in my stars ?

However - there's something else in my stars that I think might be a defect not related to the mount - can you spot it?

Here's the guided results of 30x2 min RGB and 30x1min L - I love the results ? (processed in Pixinsight)

y4mAHkpOU_uhp8BooE05Fs6cLgPcmTcfxYyiidtB

and so I thought why not combine the results from both nights, guided and unguided - PixInsight made it so easy so why not ? 

y4mj4Km9M5xYWBDRQwMoJk7mApULTgsB0hFCWZMu

Fantastic - mount worked great considering its a battery operated, clock work mechanism ....but...

What happens when I want to image something I can't see with my eye?

I'll tell you what happens, it ain't happening LOL!

I've heard about the process, star-hopping, framing, star-hop some more - nah! not for me doods.

I'm going for a wider field using a Canon lens (have a look here

But for stuff you can see with your eye than I'll be using this rig at Kelling - otherwise I'll have fun exploring wide-field - something that is really catching my interest these days.

David

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Great result.  I give up on the defect.

Carole 

When I zoomed in Carole I noticed some of the stars look like they have little hats on ?

Not sure if it's a defect in the camera, scope or tracking?

Weird 

David

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

I can't seem to zoom in to the image, as it downloads and then I can't find which programme to open it in.  

Carole 

I right click and select "Open with" and then select a viewing app like "Windows Picture Viewer" or "Photos"

You can just select IE or Chrome too 

Hope that helps ?

David

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Hmm, I tried photoshop, IE and chrome, didn't try picture viewer.  Never mind.

Carole 

It's really irritating that it does that - sorry - it's something to do with it being a link to a file on my OneDrive I think - probably an adjustment I could make.

17 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Yep I can see the little hats...just, you haven't got a telephone line or power line going in front of your image have you, or even a wayward branch?

Good Thinking ? 

Have a look at these videos - might be that bay tree?

6 hours ago, David_L said:

Good Thinking ? 

Have a look at these videos - might be that bay tree?

Its very difficult to determine from that position.

It could be anything such as pinched optics, collimation, guiding or like a mentioned an obstruction as that has happened to me before that gave me some odd shapes, have a look back through some of your other images and if it exists on there, then it could be a pinched lens.

Others may have some different thoughts.

6 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Its very difficult to determine from that position.

It could be anything such as pinched optics, collimation, guiding or like a mentioned an obstruction as that has happened to me before that gave me some odd shapes, have a look back through some of your other images and if it exists on there, then it could be a pinched lens.

Others may have some different thoughts.

My guess is pinched optics - these are the first images I’ve taken since I bought this from Altair last April so I’ll have to do more checks before I cast criticism on the scope - but I’ve seen this before unfortunately in others scopes. Going to have a look at a low processed stack of lum now

thanks for your thoughts 

4 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

Nice image!

Have you considered platesolving to find objects you can't see with naked eye?

Genius! No I hadn't thought of that - I've never used plate solving - I'll check it out - thanks very much

David

2 minutes ago, David_L said:

Genius! No I hadn't thought of that - I've never used plate solving - I'll check it out - thanks very much

David

It is quite simple with APT as you don't even need to fiddle with ascom simulator or stuff like that. It will solve an image and show you the fov on Stellarium or Cartes du ciel.. When I was imaging with my non goto EQ 3, it really transformed my imaging sessions.

6 hours ago, peter shah said:

A great result....I love those little SA units...I took one with me to La Palma in my hand luggage, very convenient.

Peter, what do you reckon on the star shapes, you are the master in the optics world? ?

On 04/02/2019 at 20:54, David_L said:

When I zoomed in Carole I noticed some of the stars look like they have little hats on ?

Not sure if it's a defect in the camera, scope or tracking?

Weird 

David

Stop zooming in!!!  It's a great image!

2 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Stop zooming in!!!  It's a great image!

HAHAHAHA! Will do - I don't normally but I gave in to the temptation LOL!

Thanks

David

Archived