Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Skipper Billy

Avalon Linear Fast reverse mount for sale

Now that my Mesu 200 has safely arrived my Avalon Linear Fast Reverse is offered for sale. This is a rare opportunity to acquire the sought after SynScan version ie it works with EQMOD.

Everything in the photographs is included in the sale. (Except my cutting mat and Dining Room table!) 😉

There is a mains power unit, a FLO silicone 12v lead, EQDIR lead for use with a laptop, and every other cable you might need and the SysScan handset (never used).

There are two stainless steel counterweights and a waterproof 'Pelican' case.

All in exceptional condition and perfect working order.

Modifications - a power socket on the mount has been added - I have added an aircraft type waterproof two pin screw on plug and socket to prevent any accidental disconnections - the original socket is still fully functional if you prefer the push in type. I made a bracket for the Polemaster - the bracket is included in the price.

This mount is a massive step up in terms of quality from Chinese mounts - it guides very easily around the 0.42 - 0.5" Total RMS area and with a bit of effort in PHD2 it can guide at around 0.3" Total RMS. (Seeing dependant)

It is beautifully designed and built and just gets on with the job. I have never lost a sub to tracking whilst using this mount.

No maintenance required - no backlash to adjust out!

Happy imaging up to around 20kg and for visual about 25kgs.

Attached is a single 3600 sec. sub - no processing - just stretched and converted to JPEG.

The full details of this superb mount are here - http://www.avalon-instruments.com/products/linear-equatorial-mount

New price - approximately £6000 but you cannot buy the Synscan model any more (which is a great shame!) - plus the extra counterweights, Pelican case, Polemaster bracket, extra power leads and socket etc.

I am prepared to sell it for just £2750

At this price it will have to be cash or bank transfer etc. (ie no cost to me) as this is an incredible bargain at well below half price.

I will meet half way anywhere within Scotland.

It could possibly be posted. It is quite heavy though - it won't be cheap! 

I am happy to supply links to images made using this mount and to answer any questions.

1 hour sub - avalon mount.jpg

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice, I’m sorely tempted, I’ve been thinking about one of these for a while.  How’s the weather in the Wild West at the moment?

40 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

How’s the weather in the Wild West at the moment?

Well it was forecast wall to wall cloud and rain for tonight.

So I took the Avalon off the pier and I have some metalwork to do before I can use the Mesu.

Of course when I went outside just now and fell flat on my back on the ice - I was looking up at a crystal clear night and no mount to use!

The only reason I sold my own Linear Fast Reverse (Synscan - the best one) is because a second hand Mesu turned up. If this hadn't happened the excellent Avalon would be marching on. Great mount. Impeccable engineering.

Olly

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Well it was forecast wall to wall cloud and rain for tonight.

Message sent.

Provisionally sold to Hallingskies subject to agreement on shipping costs.

• Like 1

why would they change it to not work with eq mod? does not make sense.

9 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

For what’s its worth UPS will,take kit up to 30kg and not bad prices either, and an excellent courier....just an option for you..I do use them a lot.. :)

10 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

You will not regret buying the Avalon Linear Reverse, especially the Synscan version. I love mine.

Steve

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

For what’s its worth UPS will,take kit up to 30kg and not bad prices either, and an excellent courier....just an option for you..I do use them a lot.. :)

Thanks for that - the killer is our postcode - UPS dont operate up here! I will hopefully be able to coerce a passing donkey to take the package to civilisation (Glasgow) where a whole world of possibilities are available !

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Thanks for that - the killer is our postcode - UPS dont operate up here! I will hopefully be able to coerce a passing donkey to take the package to civilisation (Glasgow) where a whole world of possibilities are available !

Glasgow = Civilization 🤔 

14 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Glasgow = Civilization 🤔 

Everything is relative !  😉

UPS deliver to our village in Spain, but the final leg is a bit...........Spanish 😂

DSCF1408.JPG.478fffbd3371a456266a1ee3a2455c2c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm rapidly going off UPS, they used to be my courier of choice but since late last year they seem to have gone down hill, thought it was due to the Christmas rush but waiting for a delivery today and found a card on the doormat saying they'd tried to deliver and now I will have to collect from local point.

Already had two deliveries today where they rang the doorbell and I answered so can only assume the UPS guy just sneaked up and stuck a card through the letterbox cause they didn't want to wait for me to answer and sign for it :cussing:

Dave

47 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I'm rapidly going off UPS, they used to be my courier of choice but since late last year they seem to have gone down hill, thought it was due to the Christmas rush but waiting for a delivery today and found a card on the doormat saying they'd tried to deliver and now I will have to collect from local point.

Already had two deliveries today where they rang the doorbell and I answered so can only assume the UPS guy just sneaked up and stuck a card through the letterbox cause they didn't want to wait for me to answer and sign for it :cussing:

Dave

Sorry if it is off topic. But hopefully relevant to the proposed shipping.

At work we receive several deliveries daily from assorted carriers. These are packages from UK and overseas. We send out a smaller number of (usually important or high value) parcels. Again a mix of UK and overseas.

UPS are at the top (or near the top) of the list for reliability and parcels not suffering obvious abuse in transit.

If you are only receiving at one location, or a small number of parcels, your opinion of the carrier is going to be determined by the performance of the driver.
We, and the delivery drivers are aware of this. They know that if we get told lies about delivery, we will take it up with the carrier and with the sender.
They also know that next time they have to explain to us their reasons for non delivery.
As a result most carriers give us good service at the point of delivery. Though only some carriers give good service between collection and local delivery depot.

I like the Spanish UPS delivery. We just get a boring brown truck. Didn't know they delivered dogs. Or is that the vehicle security system?

Hopes this helps, David.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Glasgow = Civilization 🤔 

Yes, we're very civilized here with good transport links! :)

Louise

5 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yes, we're very civilized here with good transport links! :)

Louise

Including the Donkey Express to Oban 😉

13 minutes ago, RayD said:

Including the Donkey Express to Oban 😉

Funnily enough, I've been meaning to go on a day trip (by rail) to Oban but somehow haven't got around to it yet! Will try and rectify this summer :) 

Louise

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Let me know when you are coming to Oban - the kettle is always on!

Will do! I had read that the local seafood is very good? Some sea air would be nice too!

Louise

Went to Oban many years ago when the foot and mouth epidemic was in full swing, on a Thursday and most places were closed including, worst of all the distillery, low point was having to have lunch in Tescos :grin:

Dave

• Sad 1