SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zoom eyepieces

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally, yes they are good, the 8-24mm zoom eyepieces are the best, avoid 7-21mm.  This one is one of the best of the cheaper ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seben-31-7mm-8-24mm-Telescope-Eyepiece/dp/B00663XV8S

But if you want to spend a bit more, this one is highly recommended:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-eyepiece.html

I prefer to use individual ep's myself, but have tried the cheaper zooms and they 'do what it says on the tin'.

I have a 7.5-22.5 WO Zoom II,  which is pretty good, although the FOV at the longer end is rather narrow. This is a feature found in all but the most expensive zoom EPs. Only the likes of Leica, Zeiss, Pentax and a couple of others make really top-notch zoom EPs only a few of which have a reasonably wide field at the long end. I use my zoom mainly for solar viewing, where chromatic correction and wide FOV at low magnification matter little. It is also useful for a lightweight travel set.

2 hours ago, Mike1947 said:

Are zoom eye piece any good 

Certainly the Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Meopta spotting scope eyepieces are very good and get rave reviews.  They do need an adapter to be used in an astronomical focuser.

There are some good zooms around. The 8-24mm ones are generally better than the 7-21mm ones. I've noticed that zooms do work well when solar observing. Try it at night and see how it does :icon_biggrin:

I asked the very same question a couple of months ago, I decided to take the plunge and got the Baader Hyperion zoom, its the best thing I've bought for my telescope so far if I'm honest, I do have individual eyepieces but the convenience of the zoom for what I want it for is amazing, there probably is a difference in clarity and what not  but I haven't noticed any differences if I'm honest 

No buying and selling outside the classifieds please folks :police:

I bought a Celestron branded zoom for around that much a couple of years back. It came from the UK though rather than China - I'd have needed to pay import duty from China so the price would not have been so good.

They are a decent zoom, pretty much the same item as the Skywatcher, Seben, and other branded versions. Not as nice quality as the Baader but useable and good for outreach I found.

On AliExpress 8-24mm Celestron Zoom starts at about $60 shipped. I got mine for $50 shipped on 11.11 sale - it looks legit to me. I don't think you'll get a fake, but in case there is a problem it won't be as easy to deal with it as with reputable seller. For me the price difference was significant enough to justify the risk.

18 minutes ago, Unklewhale said:

Noticed that some CELESTRON 8-24 Zoom eyepieces are going for about £50 (open to offer)  on eBay - from China ! Says they have a few. Wonder if it is extremely dodgy ?

Archived