Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Depends. Cheaper ones in the $20-25 range are pretty bad. More expensive ones are pretty good for their price. Some people use zoom as their main EP, some don't see much point in it. 

Generally, yes they are good, the 8-24mm zoom eyepieces are the best, avoid 7-21mm.  This one is one of the best of the cheaper ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seben-31-7mm-8-24mm-Telescope-Eyepiece/dp/B00663XV8S

But if you want to spend a bit more, this one is highly recommended:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-eyepiece.html

I prefer to use individual ep's myself, but have tried the cheaper zooms and they 'do what it says on the tin'.

• Like 2

I have a 7.5-22.5 WO Zoom II,  which is pretty good, although the FOV at the longer end is rather narrow. This is a feature found in all but the most expensive zoom EPs. Only the likes of Leica, Zeiss, Pentax and a couple of others make really top-notch zoom EPs only a few of which have a reasonably wide field at the long end. I use my zoom mainly for solar viewing, where chromatic correction and wide FOV at low magnification matter little. It is also useful for a lightweight travel set.

2 hours ago, Mike1947 said:

Are zoom eye piece any good 

Certainly the Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Meopta spotting scope eyepieces are very good and get rave reviews.  They do need an adapter to be used in an astronomical focuser.

I have a Seben 8-24 sitting on the shelf gathering dust since I sold my scope.  I'm open to offers! Can post pictures if needed

3 minutes ago, Mike1947 said:

Sand just ordered one amazon 

Thought they were showing as out of stock or did you get the last one?

Are zoom eye piece any good 

zoom lens arrived tried it on my sun scope excellent mike

There are some good zooms around. The 8-24mm ones are generally better than the 7-21mm ones. I've noticed that zooms do work well when solar observing. Try it at night and see how it does :icon_biggrin:

One of the reasons that zooms work well on the Sun is that solar telescopes tend to be F6 or longer which suits the zoom design.    ?

• Like 1

I asked the very same question a couple of months ago, I decided to take the plunge and got the Baader Hyperion zoom, its the best thing I've bought for my telescope so far if I'm honest, I do have individual eyepieces but the convenience of the zoom for what I want it for is amazing, there probably is a difference in clarity and what not  but I haven't noticed any differences if I'm honest 

• Like 2

Noticed that some CELESTRON 8-24 Zoom eyepieces are going for about £50 (open to offer)  on eBay - from China ! Says they have a few. Wonder if it is extremely dodgy ?

No buying and selling outside the classifieds please folks :police:

I bought a Celestron branded zoom for around that much a couple of years back. It came from the UK though rather than China - I'd have needed to pay import duty from China so the price would not have been so good.

They are a decent zoom, pretty much the same item as the Skywatcher, Seben, and other branded versions. Not as nice quality as the Baader but useable and good for outreach I found.

On AliExpress 8-24mm Celestron Zoom starts at about $60 shipped. I got mine for $50 shipped on 11.11 sale - it looks legit to me. I don't think you'll get a fake, but in case there is a problem it won't be as easy to deal with it as with reputable seller. For me the price difference was significant enough to justify the risk.

18 minutes ago, Unklewhale said:

Noticed that some CELESTRON 8-24 Zoom eyepieces are going for about £50 (open to offer)  on eBay - from China ! Says they have a few. Wonder if it is extremely dodgy ?

1 minute ago, Unklewhale said:

Did you pay any customs duty on its UK arrival ?

I am not in UK ;). The limit in Israel is $75 so I didn't have to pay anything. Also Chinese sellers declare lower value most of the time.

6 minutes ago, pregulla said:

... Also Chinese sellers declare lower value most of the time.

Illegal in the UK though.

Sorry pregulla, didn't notice the location! Doesn't say much for my observing skills does it !