Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brand new

Ferre

Hello people :)

I found the time and love for my old passion back :) About 35 years ago I ground my own 8 inch mirror to build myself a Dobsonian but life decided to change things drastically and so I've been "out of business" (lost my time and interest in astronomy) for a long time. Being retired since january 1st I have all the time to start all over again and the passion starts to burn again ;). So here we are for part 2 :)

Meanwhile that 8 inch project has been lost and the only equipment I have is an ETX70 from about 12 years ago. I'm going to "renew" it since it has been inactive all that time. 

Hi, Ferre, and welcome to SGL.

Your experiences sound remarkably like mine. Was going to grind an 8.75" mirror - never happened so eventually sold the kit. First real telescope that actually got any use was an ETX80 (still have it somewhere). Fortunately, this hobby is extremely forgiving of long gaps.

Enjoy the journey.

Me too! I made an alt-az scope with a 8" mirror (bought) and used a car axle for the motion. Tube was wood and the whole thing turned very smoothly! I used it in an urban back yard. Let us know what/if you buy. Im split between Haritage 130p and Dob 150 skyliner!

Hi,

I am about to retire as well, so like you hoping to get more 'free' time (health problems permitting).

As a teenager I started putting together a 12" Newtonian, but the tube and mount and a few bits are still sitting in my brothers shed 100 ml away - one day !

Using an 8" SCT at present, but certainly hoping it sees more use in the coming months.

Archived