SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two Fracs, Cold Toes

iPeace

Unexpectedly clear at just after 20:00 local time, I suited up and set up. It was in my mind to visit some doubles using a dual frac assembly, Stanley the TV-85 as main scope and Bjorn the Borg 71FL as ultra finder.

DSC_2267.thumb.JPG.06b4ad587a41dba90679b747aa911c2f.JPG

This works really well, once the scopes are precisely aligned with each other. There's no double Bjorn can't easily find, thus Stanley can stay focused at 200x while we hop between them. Of course, with so few observing opportunities lately, I couldn't resist a few other targets. I did not expect the clarity to last long, but ended up spending almost four hours - only stopping to keep the toes from growing unheathily cold.

I didn't take notes, but here's the list as far as I recall.

• M35
  • M37
  • M36
  • M38
  • Almach
  • 6 Triaguli
  • Lambda Arietis
  • Mesarthim
  • HR 891
  • 1 Camelopardalis
  • Stock 2
  • NGC 884 / 869
  • Melotte 20
  • M45
  • Trapezium
  • Beta Monocerotis
  • Epsilon Monocerotis
  • Tegmen
  • Iota Cancri
  • 38 Lyncis
  • Algieba
  • Regulus
  • Castor
  • Wasat
  • M44

DSC_2270.thumb.JPG.90ad0dbaa63bc68a855843e7a837f414.JPG

So nice to get a great prolonged session! Equally nice to get back in for tea and warm toes.

Clear skies and all blessings to you.

What a nice setup. I’d spend a while just appreciating the engineering. It must be like driving a really good German car; everything well designed and built to last.

I have a 70mm finder scope (not in the same league as yours). Sometimes I forget to look through the main scope because I’m enjoying those lovely wide field views.

None of this helps with the toes though.

Paul

Archived