Narrowband

First attempt at m42 with 1600mm

AbsolutelyN

Having just acquired a zwo 1600mm and being completely new to mono imaging I thought m42 would be a good test target before it heads too far west.  Also first attempt at calibration but still had big gradients to deal with which were very hard to overcome. Not 100% certain I got it right so need to read up more.  Approx 180 mins, Esprit 100 and zwo filters.

R/G/B 40 mins each (8x 5 min subs)
HA 1hour (12x 5min subs)

M42.jpg

Thanks. Love the colours from mono, but processing seems hard. I guess that's just because it's all new and will seen be a breeze once sussed everything out. 

No I didn't get any shorter subs, it had gone out of view by time longer ones were complete so core is a project for another day. I'm also in two minds about how to handle the core. Part of me thinks it's so bright it should, to a certain extent, keep its brightness - the other part wants to preserve detail. The dynamic range it so massive it will need a care to avoid an unnatural HDR look. 

Archived