Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

jonnydreads

Barlow for baader zoom, Is there any point?

This is my question exactly? I am just wondering if anyone has one and if there is much point in it if you are attaching it in front of a zoom lens already..

Thanks Jon 

I use the es 2x focal extender with my bhz. It's absolutely brilliant for planetary views with my f10 and f7.5 fracs. So good that I recently aquired a 3x extender for those few ultra clear-steady nights.

Sometimes, I prefered the views of the above combination instead of the great 5 and 6 bgo.

• Like 1

Yes. I’m not usually a fan of Barlows, but, in this case I found it useful. It was like having a second zoom. You just choose which range you’ll be observing in, low to mid or mid to high mag.

I had a Baader zoom with Barlow and a 24mm 82° for my travel setup.

Paul

• Like 1

Sure, I have barlowed a zoom on many occasions 😀 Zooms do not out perform fixed focal length eyepieces so using a Barlow will compound any weaknesses in the zoom. But hey it’s all good fun 🔭

• Like 1

Indeed and Baader make a Barlow just for that purpose to go with their zoom eyepiece.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Indeed and Baader make a Barlow just for that purpose to go with their zoom eyepiece.

Dave

Yes Ive seen one, but I was thinking when I've zoomed in using the baader at 8mm  I've find it very difficult to get much clarity with my 8se. I was wondering what the benefits of the Barlow was 

2 minutes ago, jonnydreads said:

Yes Ive seen one, but I was thinking when I've zoomed in using the baader at 8mm  I've find it very difficult to get much clarity with my 8se. I was wondering what the benefits of the Barlow was 

You have just overlooked the magnification with the above example, I think the focal length of the 8SE is pretty high up there 😀

With the 8se with 2032mm focal length, you will need exceptional skies to go beneath 8-10mm eyepiece. So there isn't much point in barlowing the bhz....

For whatever it's worth, and in my less than expert opinion, it (Hyperion Zoom) is a high quality Barlow.

22 hours ago, jonnydreads said:

Assuming you're working at f/10, 8mm is already near the maximum usable magnification (0.8mm exit pupil).  If you were using an f/5 or faster Newtonian, it would make a lot more sense barlowing the BHZ since the effective 4mm eyepiece focal length yields the same exit pupil of 0.8mm as in your scope without a barlow.

I use a zoom with a barlow lens often for high power observing but I would rarely do so if my scope had the focal length that your 8SE does. 250x is already a pretty high magnification unless the conditions are very good indeed.

• Like 1