Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
agthomson

Purchase Advice - EQM-35 v HEQ5 Pro

Before I start, I know these two mounts aren't directly comparable, so please consider my current set-up and requirements if you could! I think I wlready know the answer to my own question, but I suppose i'm just looking for confirmation that i'm not ignoring something.

Right now I am more than happy with the way my set-up functions, other than having to manually find fainter objects in the sky (nightmare if there's few stars to hop between). I love the ZS61 and the Star Adventurer combo for the easier targets such as Andromeda, Pliades, and Orion even if at 2.5kg I am at the limit of the mounts capability (possibly beyond?). The EQM-35 caught my eye as it's only £555 and is relatively portable, meaning I could sell my Star adventurer to help finance the EQM-35. The payload capacity, at 7kg is enough for me just now, even if I do decide to add a ED80 or something to my setup. By the time i've sold the SA, and added a powerbank and cables etc I would probbaly have spent a total of £550-600.

The other option is the HEQ5 Pro. Much bigger payload capacity, meaning I could get a bigger scope for DSO's or mount my 200p for visual. It would probably mean I need to keep the SA for trips away, so i'd probably have to spend close to £1k (mount, powerbank, cables) and end up with 2 mounts (the wife would definitely notice 2 of them - I might be able to convince her that the EQM-35 = the SA but in a nicer colour?).

Do I just suck it up and get the HEQ5 Pro, or is the EQM-35 a happy medium that would keep me going for a while, and solve my object-finding issue?

Suck up the HEQ 5 if it were me. The 35 is just about adequate as an imaging mount but in all honesty it’s probably not much of a step up from your SA

There’s more to a mount than just payload when it comes to imaging and with that in mind I’d get the HEQ5 with the Rowan Belt mid pre-installed from FLO. About £100 more but very worthwhile. You’d have a pretty decent mount that’d see you good for a while. 

I would go for the Heq5 and keep the SA.

The eqm-35 won't be a happy medium. It won't be anywhere near portable compared to the SA nor as capable as the Heq5.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I suppose when the EQM-35 was announced it looked exactly like a SA upgrade / replacement which is what got me thinking, but the longevity of it (or lack of) had me considering the HEQ5. By all accounts they share a tripod, but the HEQ5 has better resolution albeit with less teeth on the RA gear. I take the points about portability, and maybe read too much into the modular nature of the EQM-35.

Okay, so shopping list stands at HEQ5 Pro (belt modded), EQDIR USB Cable, Extension Tube (need the extra clearance sometimes) and power supply. Missing anything?