SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Small Fungal spore in rear element

I am always particularly careful when repacking my scopes after an observing session to ensure that they are dried out.  Most often packing up in the morning.  

However last night I spotted what appears to be a small fungus spore on the rear element.  It is small enough not to interfere through the eyepiece but I am keen to stop it spreading.  The scope is is a tv-76 that I have had about 9 months.  Bought it secondhand in a good condition (optics were very clean) and it has been my most used scope over the past 9 months.  I really enjoy using this little scope and want to continue using it in the longer term. 

Therefore I am keen on the thoughts from the forum on how best to stop the spread.   The Scottish winter is not really the best for leaving it out in the sun.  Do you think a UV torch would be suitable for killing the spore and stopping the spread.

I am fortunate in that I have a few nice scopes to use. But there is something about the TV-76 that I really enjoy.  

The few times I had to deal with fungus in optics, I have adopted the dismantle and clean approach.

It will be interesting to her of others experiences with UV.

My (uneducated and ill informed) guess is that you need short wavelength UV and fairly intense.

You might risk damage to rubber and plastic parts.

However, a few hours torchlight, even as a preventative measure, sounds good to me.

I look forward to comments from someone knowledgeable or experienced.

David.

Archived