Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

A couple of photos that show how I'm planning to mount the parts on the dovetail bar.  Just roughly placed.  Having the focus gear beyond the end means that the focus motor can be mounted further down on a shorter bracket, with the gear going below the dovetail bar.  This is just a mock-up, I'm still planning to make all the brackets in one print.

791545034_2019Rig07.JPG.de03430556a67bab2d7f39ed9f083bae.JPG740356509_2019Rig08.JPG.2608ad3092f0de1e9702e2173bcb24f5.JPG

Model of brackets for camera and focus motor.  Found covers for the fuses so I see no point in designing and printing a new electronics box.

153613524_Screenshotfrom2019-02-0517-34-07.png.dc753f87d932dc8ebd41cdeeb1ad384d.png

Edited by Gina

The total weight of the rig is less than a Kilogram and PETG is strong - particularly this thick, so I think the bracket is strong enough.  Anyone else have an opinion on this?

OTOH I guess over-engineering is not such a bad idea in view of the cost of the camera.

Edited by Gina

It has noting to do with weight Gina, not at all...!
I'm always very careful myself when designing such a clamp.
Point is : When the screw is fastened a bit to tense the upper part could break. Maybe not the first time, but in time it could break.

To be strong in the direction the screws are mounted you should print it in the opposite direction. Whatever you do, how hard you turn that knob, there's no way it will ever break. Maybe, just maybe it well bend, but it never will break.
I would not over-engineer it at all myself either, but I would print it in the other direction, logic, not..?
If it were a part of no importance I(maybe) would print it just the same. But in this case, well....

You are right!  It did but worse was that the print parted from the bed after a couple more layers.  However, it holds the camera very firmly without the top/back part.  The arch at the top of the camera is very stiff.  I may print it again but without the back ring.  I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Camera held by two brackets (avoiding printed bridges).  The focus motor bracket will be attached to the lens rather than the camera bracket or dovetail and the electronics box will be attached to the dovetail separately.

1254407746_2019RigCameraBracket01.JPG.2edd328991e85a863bb406131fe969cb.JPG

• Like 1

Focus motor bracket printed and installed together with stepper motor - now wants a pinion designed and printed.  Electronics box also attached to dovetail bar - just needs a lid now.

569451800_2019Rig09.JPG.1060e6e5cfe6dce0d7edc58aa4bebf40.JPG

• 2 months later...

Been looking at my workings on astro images with PixInsight and it's a complete fog!! :eek:  Looks like it's going to be a re-learning job.  At least I've got the book!  PixInsight is mighty powerful and mighty complicated!  I need to sort this out both so that I can resume astro imaging and processing and also for the image processing part of my talk on astro-photography to our village social group later in the year or next year (date not fixed yet).  I've also tried PI to enhance my ASC images and it's mind-blowing!