SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Care and maintenance of carbon fibre tubes

I'll soon have a new scope with a carbon tube and wondered about any do's and don'ts re care of the surface. Particularly thinking about putting self adhesive cable tie bases on over a long period of time - does the adhesive mark the gloss finish? I've read cf tubes shouldn't be exposed to too much UV as it degrades the finish.

Thanks,

Rob

Not a CF tube owner but I've worked with CF a fair bit on drones etc.

UV exposure shouldn't be a huge concern but I'd not leave it out in the sun for extended periods as a general rule, as with any other scope.

I'd opt for soft velcro strips all the way around the tube for cable management; they will rotate but if you double-layer them you can keep them gently tensioned around the tube and leave yourself a strip for cables to pass under that can be adjusted without adjusting the band around the tube. That or stick to using tube ring bracketwork for cable supports. Having said that, if you use a decent adhesive (3M double-sided tape or similar) you shouldn't have any problems.

Archived