Problems with misframing when reading camera

old_eyes

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem. It is probably something simple, but I am unable to pinpoint it.

I have a QHY 168C OSC CMOS camera. I'm very happy with it.

The only issue is that some frames have been rotated a little way to the left. With a vertical bar on the right hand side, and what appears to be the data chopped off the left reappearing to the right of the bar.

Two images attached showing a normal frame capture and one with the error.

It happens at random, sometimes one in a run of 50 captured frames, sometimes a cluster of three or four closely spaced.

The camera is running over USB 3 to a mini-PC that is only running APT and PHD2. I typically run the camera at -20C

Is it the computer, the cable, the software, a camera problem? Anyone seen anything like this before? It is not a showstopper, more of an irritation, but I wish it didn't happen.

old_eyes

Test1.jpg

Test2.jpg

If I was really clever I could reassemble the frame. I think all the data is there. Or I could just crop it and still use it. I don't usually have anything interesting at the edges of the frame. Problem is the darks, bias and flats won't line up. Probably just too much work!

You're right, this issue with flats and darks is really annoying. 

It comes to my mind that i never experienced it, because the issue only happens in PHD, never in Firecapture (i used the ASI120 only for guiding or planetari stuff). 

This is of course software problem, but I'm not sure whether it is drivers or capture app.

I had something similar once with ASI1600 and SIPS (ascom compliant free capture app from moravian instruments). Image was not shifted but it was distorted. I mean all the data was there but application refused to provide clean sub and instead it offered something like half width full height scrambled version of it.

At the time I figured it must be due to size of single sub as with my other cameras with less pixels it worked fine. Then I switched to SGP and that worked without any issues on same drivers.

This leads me to believe that it could be capture application problem - it can't properly handle subs of that size for some reason. Could you try another capture app just to see if frames would be ok? SGP has lite version which is free - you won't be able to do things like plate solve and there are other restrictions - but I've used it for a while before getting pro version - and it was ok for most imaging purposes. If same happens with it - then I would recommend looking into drivers (ascom ones - see if there is update, or contact QHY with problem description).

• 2 months later...

Archived