Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hong Kong Light Pollution

Klitwo

"Light polution is one of the biggest problems for Earth-based Astronomy".

If you're planing an observing vacation overseas and Hong Kong is on your short list....then the following may be of interest to you. 

My worst observing experiences in terms of light pollution and overall observing conditions was in Hong Kong...starting from a period in the summer of 1994 to the beginning of 2007.  The skies in Hong Kong are heavily polluted with the glow from the 10s of thousands of Neon lights that adorn the countless multitudes of shops, billboards and stores of crowded Hong Kong and the thousands of high pressure Sodium Vapor street lights (toss in an abundance of Mercury Vapor lighting too)....not to mention all the heat radiating from the asphalt streets and cement buildings at night....especially in the summer months when temperatures are always in the high 80s with with the humidity at the same level....combined with an average over 200 cloudy nights per year....Even viewing the craters on the moon or the planets with any great clarity is considered an achievement from downtown Kowloon in Hong Kong unless you were atop of one of the many tall 50 story apartment buildings with your telescope where the light pollution is below you to some extant and the observing can be a little better, especially with the use of a light pollution filter.  Here is a beautiful photo of Hong Kong taken at night....>   https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Hong_Kong_Night_Skyline.jpg

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/21/world/asia/hong-kong-light-pollution/index.html

https://www.lcas-astronomy.org/images/Cartoons/IMAGE18.GIF

Your comments are welcome.....

P.S. I was a permanent resident of Hong Kong for about 13 years....having lived, worked there from 1994 to 2007.  I had a decent Chinese 4-inch f/5 and a 6-inch f/8 refractor for my observing adventures in Hong Kong and nearby Shenzhen, China (population of nearly 13 million and is heavily light polluted too)....the big mainland China border city to Hong Kong.  Most of my observing adventures was in Kowloon with my two Chinese refractors and was limited to just some lunar and planetary viewing when it wasn't clouded over or too gluted with light pollution.  Having said that...I still love Hong Kong regardless of it's extreme light pollution.  It's a big beautiful city with 7.5 million people and certainly one to visit if you ever have the chance. And once you visit Hong Kong...you'll always want to come back and visit it again and again....

Klitwo

Well done for managing any observing in those conditions! Respect to all the ‘inner city’ astronomers out there. Makes me feel lucky that my major obstacle is next door’s bathroom light (and clouds!). ?

I have to agree regarding Hong Kong.  Went there for a 2 night stopover a few years ago.  Even the clouds were white at night from the reflection of the city lights.  I think I could see 1 star and that was probably Jupiter anyway.

Never been to Las Vegas, but I bet it's the same. 

Carole 

Apparently Hong Kong is good for something called shopping. Sounds ghastly!

I hate shopping too Olly, but there's more to do than that.  We went on a trip to Victoria Peak which is a high mountain so you can view the whole harbour from up top, and this included a trip on a Sampan, and a visit to a market which was fascinating with lots of products we don't see in our markets in England and watch craftsmen at work.  Came down from Victoria peak via funicular railway.   The harbour itself is quite unique and you can get boats across it.   There is a beautiful park in Kowloon with some wildlife.  Trip to Repulse Bay and other islands.  The main street in Kowloon is pretty stunning as it is so different.  There are also theme parks if that's your thing - but probably not lol.  Tropical jungle and white sandy beaches. 

Carole 

It's probably on par with Singapore... where the Sun&Sand has big floodlights into the sky just because it looks nice. For "safety reasons" there is not a single dark spot in any park. Even from the observatory a bit outside the city you see next to nothing, among other things because they are not able to switch off the floodlight from the building next door lighting up the entire site at night. It's just a country completely and utterly inconsiderate of light pollution.

Archived