SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Golden age!

FLO

I therefore consider (and I could be wrong) that any companies or retailers which increase their prices over the next few months will be needing to slash them not long after.

There's nothing left to slash! We know from our weekly price-checking that most astro dealers have been undercutting each other for months. Anyone waiting for a sale of any kind will be disappointed.

The prices out there now, they are the cheapest you will see for a long time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I therefore consider (and I could be wrong) that any companies or retailers which increase their prices over the next few months will be needing to slash them not long after.

There's nothing left to slash! We know from our weekly price-checking that most astro dealers have been undercutting each other for months. Anyone waiting for a sale of any kind will be disappointed.

The prices out there now, they are the cheapest you will see for a long time.

Did you sell double glazing in a past life.............:-)

I kind of think there probably is a golden age of amateur astronomy going on myself. I have been out of it for years but I was amazed to come back into it and see the prices so cheap.

Obviously I dont know how long the cheap prices have been going on for on for but part of what made choosing so hard coming back to it was wondering if these amazingly cheap scopes could be any good at all. I mean could someone in China REALLY make an 8" reflector with decent optics on a motorised mount for under £600.

Maybe its all been a bit of a freak and we'll be going back to £500 a go starter scopes.

ps Steve - I need some bits so will give you a call as soon as I am back from hols and have to hope prices havent gone up between now and then.

Did you sell double glazing in a past life............. :D

Ouch! :blackeye:

Actually, I've just spoken with my boss who says we are delivering to a property in your area so, if you live near a school and agree that we can use your scope as a 'show scope', we can offer you a significant discount off your purchase :tongue3:

ps Steve - I need some bits so will give you a call as soon as I am back from hols and have to hope prices havent gone up between now and then.

Ooh, ooh, we do bits :mrgreen:

About 50 is old enough - I remember getting given a toy for a birthday when I was young and a few days later it broke - I can remember my mum looking at it and saying 'oh - its made in Japan - thats why - we'll just throw it away and get you another one'.

That was how Japanese goods were seen - just cheap and nasty. I remember the first Honda cars coming into the UK and they were universally trashed by the motor trade who said 'yeah well they were ok with bikes but they'll NEVER be bale to compete with cars HAR HAR'

Oh dear.....showing my age again :D:help::lol:

But Hey Astrobaby - you are NEVER old enough to remember that when you were a child. 50 - pull the other one. Anyway - 50 is the new 30 : )

Tom

Did you sell double glazing in a past life............. :laugh:

Actually, I've just spoken with my boss who says we are delivering to a property in your area so, if you live near a school and agree that we can use your scope as a 'show scope', we can offer you a significant discount off your purchase :tongue3:

Hey! I live near two schools and I'm a teacher! Could I have a massive discount on an Explorer-300P or Tal-250K, please?! :lol: I'm quite sure I'll be showing it to lots of children and wealthy neighbours / friends! :shock: :D:help:

Did you sell double glazing in a past life............. :laugh:

Hey! I live near two schools and I'm a teacher! Could I have a massive discount on an Explorer-300P or Tal-250K, please?! :lol: I'm quite sure I'll be showing it to lots of children and wealthy neighbours / friends! :shock: :D:help:

Now that it's getting dark early I asked at three of the primarys that I teach at if they would like me to bring the scope down one evening so that the kids could have a look at the Moon. You would have thought I was asking to pull teeth. I shan't be asking them again.

Now that it's getting dark early I asked at three of the primarys that I teach at if they would like me to bring the scope down one evening so that the kids could have a look at the Moon. You would have thought I was asking to pull teeth. I shan't be asking them again.

What was their objection?

I bought a Tak 130 in March. Quoted prices are already a little over 13% more than I paid. I wish my investments earned that rate ..... come to think of it, I wish my investments had earned 0% over that period. :D

Mike

Are you a supply teacher?

Are you a supply teacher?

Peri. So i go to the same schools each week, have done for years, part of the brickwork etc so I'm not a stranger or anything, I get on well with all of the heads/staff I was just a little surprised at their negative attitude. Still, i suppose they want to get home like the rest of us.

What was their objection?

Nothing in particular, just a sort of 'Er......that'll take some arranging, let's talk about it later' sort of thing. I can't see what arranging it would take, the schools are open until 6 pm usually, I could be set up by 4.30, 15 minute talk to the kids, half an hour moving them through the eyepiece and away. Not particularly bothered, just thought there would be more interest.

Archived