Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
niallk

OMI Mirrors

Not sure how many people on SGL have an OMI mirror, but I've just read a post on CN saying they've closed down! :(

If I ever need to recoat my 15" (hopefully not for many, many years hence) who are the options?  Until now, I would have considered shipping back to them in Iowa.

[I'm aware of OOUK, and I'd be shipping from Ireland].

Cheers,

-Niall

Edited by niallk

Hi Niall that`s a blow,  i`ve had mine 9  years,still if you contact Dave at Obsession Telescopes he will be able to sort you out!😁

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

I would have thought that shipping to the UK would be just as easy and probably cheaper. The OO Hilux coatings are pretty good.    😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I would have thought that shipping to the UK would be just as easy and probably cheaper. The OO Hilux coatings are pretty good.    😀

Thanks Peter! Yes, cheaper for shipping, and their prices do look acceptable.

If it was a 'once-in-10-to-15yrs' cost, I'd have 100% trusted OMI, and potentially lived with the cost for piece of mind.  I must see if I can contact James Mulherin just to see if there is anything in particular he'd recommend to mention to someone who might be stripping coatings off one of their mirrors in the future.

Edited by niallk

3 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Niall that`s a blow,  i`ve had mine 9  years,still if you contact Dave at Obsession Telescopes he will be able to sort you out!😁

Regards

Mike

Cheers Mike - have you ever had reason to recoat yours?

Hi Niall, no i`ve not had any worries about my mirror, i really  do not expect to have a need of  re coating, my scope is stored in warm dry conditions.

I would think that James will write back and will let you know of any do`s and dont`s

Just give Dave a call at Obsession ,he will no doubt be in contact with OMI as they are/were a main supplier to Obsession, i will be interested to hear from you if you get any info.

Mike

• Like 1

Will share any info I get!  I do remember reading a note from James Mulherin about stripping mirror coatings, and why damage can occur if the person stripping the mirror doesn't know how it was originally coated.  OMI coated mirrors for Zambuto and Lockwood in the past which I take as a testament to their expertise in the area.

I too take care about storing my mirror indoors, and hope it will last for years. I am about to wash it for the 2nd time in 4 yrs - fingers crossed it will go without a hitch and it will come up like new again... :)

Here's a link to an archive of OMI's technical articles - some interesting stuff on interferometry testing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080512150818/http://www.opticalmechanics.com/technical_articles/index.html

Here's an archive of interferometry data for mirrors OMI made - interesting to view across 12.5" to 30":

https://web.archive.org/web/20080512153416/http://www.opticalmechanics.com/telescope_mirrors/testdata.html

I had an OMI mirror in my 20 Obsession and I sent it to Orion for recoating and they made such a hash of getting the coating off and recoating I had to send it back to OMI for refiguring and recoating. I would use Galveopitcs in Braintree insetad. They also managed to chip the mirror as well.

Owen

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, obrazell said:

I had an OMI mirror in my 20 Obsession and I sent it to Orion for recoating and they made such a hash of getting the coating off and recoating I had to send it back to OMI for refiguring and recoating. I would use Galveopitcs in Braintree insetad. They also managed to chip the mirror as well.

Owen

Geez.  This is why I was happy to go back to OMI if I ever needed to in the future, and incur the cost.  When the conditions are right, my mirror has delivered what I consider to be stunning views, and I wouldn't want that ruined. 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 04:13, niallk said:

Not sure how many people on SGL have an OMI mirror, but I've just read a post on CN saying they've closed down! :(

If I ever need to recoat my 15" (hopefully not for many, many years hence) who are the options?  Until now, I would have considered shipping back to them in Iowa.

[I'm aware of OOUK, and I'd be shipping from Ireland].

Cheers,

-Niall

Thier website is still up and running....>

http://www.opticalmechanics.com/

P.S. I see nothing on thier website at this point that suggests they are closed down or out of business....

Klitwo

57 minutes ago, Klitwo said:

Thier website is still up and running....>

http://www.opticalmechanics.com/

P.S. I see nothing on thier website at this point that suggests they are closed down or out of business....

Going by posts on CN it is true, confirmed by someone who is a known friend of Dave Kriege of Obsession Telescopes.

Just now, niallk said:

Going by posts on CN it is true, confirmed by someone who is a known friend of Dave Kriege of Obsession Telescopes.

Here is thier phone number...give them a call....>  (319) 351-3960    Email:   info@opticalmechanics.com

Klitwo

Thanks.  Ive been in touch with James Mulherin before, and found him very helpful and responsive.  I hope things will be ok for him & the team there.