Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

cotterless45

Heads up ! Starcount !

Thanks Lee and Demon Perfomer.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks Lee and Demon Perfomer.

Carole 

Your welcome, I hope oneday I will get close to the quality of image you have captured. Amazing 😍

Just realised I haven't ever counted the stars within Orion 😲 it's as clear as water out there tonight up here in East Yorkshire so i will post back my results later 👍

Edited by LeeRich
  • Like 1

Brilliant images - well done Carole!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just been out almost an hour before Orion is at it's highest and I can count 19 every time but sometimes 21 ?? I count the main nebula as 1 star but there is definitely 2 directly below by eye .

Is there a link for what my bortle level is please ? 😁 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I agree with Avtar.  I cut my teeth on imaging from Bortle 8 and although I am limited in what I can do from here, I can do a certain amount of narrowband.  I do however have to travel to a dark location to get the rest.

This is my new website that features ONLY stuff I have imaged from Bortle 8.  

https://sites.google.com/view/carastroimaging/home

Carole 

Superb work Carole, it really shows what skill and perseverance can achieve from even the most challenging light polluted locations. Geof

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

I agree with Avtar.  I cut my teeth on imaging from Bortle 8 and although I am limited in what I can do from here, I can do a certain amount of narrowband.  I do however have to travel to a dark location to get the rest.

Carole 

As a visual only observer I have to admire your imaging skills there Carole👍☺..

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That fits.  Bortle 4 here - used to be Bortle 3 but the light pollution is getting worse probably due to lots more houses being built on edges of towns and villages.  Another dozen or so houses with associated street lights have been built in our village less than half a mile away.  Plus whole swathes of housing estates around local towns.

• Sad 1

Well, I just came in from outside, here in rural Lincolnshire where it's a beautiful night here.

I waited for 10 minutes, wrapped up well, and seated on a garden chair insulated by a towel, so I was very comfortable. After approximately 12 or 13 separate counts, going from left side down, right side down top down and bottom up, the most consistent result I was confident in was 27 stars including the 3 in the Belt and 3 more being the M42 "cluster".

Twice or three times I suspected 28th and 29th stars but was not confident enough to report these. And yes, some stars were best seen with averted vision, but definitely there.

Back in the Midlands before we moved here, I would have been lucky to get half that number on the best nights, so I am very pleased with this result and will now report this as my score.

I think if I went a mile up the hill out of our village I might have got the magic 30😊.

Dave

• Like 6

Great result Dave :smiley:

Tonight here it's a bit milky so I can't get more than 14/15. 10 down on my best so far. Earlier it was worse - just half a dozen or so visible. Well done for remembering the towel to insulate the chair - the cold seeps through the trousers surprisingly quickly without that ! :shocked:

• Thanks 1

Cheers, John:thumbsup:

We had very milky skies here last night, I literally could barely see the outer rectangle and belt!

Yes, I think I'm actually coming down with  man flu so I had 4 layers of outdoor clothing on.. sadly no proper session for me tonight.

I also find that when the ground is very frosty, a thick piece of timber can really help your feet to stay warmer for longer😊.

Dave

• Like 1

18 for me tonight, I'll try again on other nights as it was a bit hazy. Not a bad result for around here.

• Like 3

Six separate counts around 22 to 24 and 26 stars twice. ( Bortle 4...SQM 20. 89)

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

With naked eyes I can see 8, and that includes the 4 outer stars!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Carole 

Wow :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I had a go at this. Dark adapted for about 10 minutes, counted several times over a further 10 minutes. I’m sure I counted 32 within the rectangle. 

• Like 5

Just now, tooth_dr said:

I had a go at this. Dark adapted for about 10 minutes, counted several times over a further 10 minutes. I’m sure I counted 32 within the rectangle. 

32 ! - great skies and eyes :smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, John said:

Does the Nebula itself count as 1?

• Like 1

It looked obviously hazy to me when I checked outside earlier.  I'll have another look shortly and if it's at all decent I'll have a go.

James

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:
2 minutes ago, John said:

Does the Nebula itself count as 1?

I counted it as one. 18 altogether. Quite pleased with that! I think it would have been less before the led lights- good for looking but bad for imaging. Although after seeing Carole's excellent efforts from bortle 8 I'm keeping quiet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Makes me wish I hadn’t sold my dob. However a clear night and a new moon are a rare thing. 

Foggy and a big fat zero here now!

• Sad 2