Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rigel Quickfinder - scratchy circles, can't find focus?

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance as always. 

So I just recieved a rigel quickfinder, I wanted something like this because I live in an area of reasonably high light pollution and I had found it a nightmare to find anything that wasn't the brightest of objects with the 6x30 finder that came with my scope. 

Now, I've not tested it on anything astronomical yet as it's been cloudy as hell so I don't know if that makes the difference, but testing it every other way (looking into the distance  at night and just in dim rooms) I find it very hard to see two perfect circles as I thought I would. In fact what I see tends to be two very thick, almost scratchy lines, like someone tried to make two circles by drawing (poorly I might add) again and again over the same circle. The odd part is I cant photograph this, through a camera lens I see two perfect, clear circles so for this reason I assume there is not a fault with the device.

The attached image is an "artist's" impression of what I see but I think it gets the idea across. I do wear glasses and for a moment putting them on can make a difference but not always. I have also asked other people to look through it and they too see thick scratchy lines. 

So, is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this simply the nature of the Rigel? It does seem fairly inaccurate with such thick, blurry lines to look through. 

Many thanks again,

Ed

Untitled-1.jpg

Not normal at all. The Rigel circles look like this:

rigel_quikfinder.jpg.e529490c8f757a6c941b0a903b019725.jpg

You need to view them against a really dark background to see them (they are fine when seen against a dark sky) and your eye needs to be a few inches behind the finder window.

Maybe the window on your Rigel has got scratched ?

It will be perfect when you try it in the dark when you have a black background, the knob you

switch it on with also brightens and dims the red target lines, you can try it in a dark room or 

cupboard. You need to be at a distance of about 18" to 2 ft away for it to be effective , keep

both eyes open when lining up, centre a star through the eyepiece of your scope, then adjust 

the Rigel  with the three knobs at the front, then move your scope to another star, using the Rigel 

first, then look through the eyepiece and the star should be there, if not make the adjustment on

the Rigel.

• 2 years later...
On 02/02/2019 at 13:03, edjbrown said:

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance as always. 

So I just recieved a rigel quickfinder, I wanted something like this because I live in an area of reasonably high light pollution and I had found it a nightmare to find anything that wasn't the brightest of objects with the 6x30 finder that came with my scope. 

Now, I've not tested it on anything astronomical yet as it's been cloudy as hell so I don't know if that makes the difference, but testing it every other way (looking into the distance  at night and just in dim rooms) I find it very hard to see two perfect circles as I thought I would. In fact what I see tends to be two very thick, almost scratchy lines, like someone tried to make two circles by drawing (poorly I might add) again and again over the same circle. The odd part is I cant photograph this, through a camera lens I see two perfect, clear circles so for this reason I assume there is not a fault with the device.

The attached image is an "artist's" impression of what I see but I think it gets the idea across. I do wear glasses and for a moment putting them on can make a difference but not always. I have also asked other people to look through it and they too see thick scratchy lines. 

So, is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this simply the nature of the Rigel? It does seem fairly inaccurate with such thick, blurry lines to look through. 

Many thanks again,

Ed

Untitled-1.jpg

Similar issues - will start a new thread…