Landed...at last.

emadmoussa

I've wanted this EP for quite a while, then I noticed it was on sale on AliExpress. Given I never used AliExpress before, reluctantly and apprehensively,  I pulled the trigger and ordered it. After the seller's sale discount, AliExpress's coupons, and conversion rate, the price came to £190 + tax. 

It took exactly 2 weeks to arrive - much faster than expected. 

Opposite to the common 'astro paradigm', clear skies are expected tonight. 

NOW FOR SALE - CHECK ADS

20190202_115744.jpg

20190202_115759.jpg

20190202_115849.jpg

20190202_115939.jpg

20190202_115943.jpg

Just now, emadmoussa said:

You know I've got a fetish for massive EPs...

I have had a couple of big eyepieces and they do give some remarkable views, it will be fantastic in your 100 ED ?

2 minutes ago, Pig said:

I have had a couple of big eyepieces and they do give some remarkable views, it will be fantastic in your 100 ED ?

I need to save up for a mount first. Unless I can mount it on my shoulder like a rocket launcher. 

I bought one as well, I guess from the same seller on the same sale - it was $225 after discount and coupons. Wasn't as lucky as you are - mine arrived with dirty eye lens and a spec on field lens coating. The seller wasn't helpful, but I opened a dispute and got 30% back. I would rather have a perfect one for $225, but $160 with slight defects is still a good deal IMO. The views are still great.

This thing is indeed enormous. I thought my SW SWA70 32mm was big, the ES82 30 is twice the size. It weight slightly over 1kg btw, not 1.4kg, still a lot.

I gave it a go last night. It was good indeed. In my 8-inch SCT, a slow scope, the stars were sharp edge to edge. I had an hour of roaming the sky before my neighbour's garden light ruined my night (I'm going to have a word with them, I've had enough). To be fair, at that point, the eyepiece itself was beginning to get fogged up; the stars showed hallows around them. 

It was so cold, -5 C, my scope and everything else got frosty allover. 

Nice one Imad..... I had a similar issue with the neighbours at the end my back garden, when I knocked on their door a very frail aged lady answered so I explained the situation and offered to fit a shroud, at my expense, it turned out she simply didn’t know how to operate the sensitivity setting ! I set it up for her so now the local ants no longer set it off ... so all is well ? The light does make them feel safe so it can be quite a big ask to ask folk not to use them.

Hi Emad, you'll love this ep, you see so much of the sky and pin-sharp stars, it is awe inspiring to say the least.  I bought mine from AgenaAstro in the US when they just came out (and were much cheaper), likewise mine took just a little under two weeks to arrive.

Archived