SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS and RAW files help

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Win 10 and 250 gig SSD drive,not sure of RAM,but it has a fair bit,

OK, should be good.

This is what I get when I open your file in DSS v4.1.0 at my default settings.

65924735_DSSIMG9964CR2.thumb.jpg.780702cf5a221907f94f0cb747708c37.jpg

I'm going to "open picture files" and selecting your saved file. Clicking on the file up pops the image. Just to check, do you get the little 'Bayer' icon before the 'path', as you can see here (4 boxes in a square).

Ian

4 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

OK, should be good.

This is what I get when I open your file in DSS v4.1.0 at default settings.

776626879_DSSIMG9964CR2.thumb.jpg.d38515f66ccbaac71d3d8b2efc4fb9e1.jpg

I'm going to "open picture files" and selecting your saved file. Clicking on the file up pops the image. Just to check, do you get the little 'Bayer' icon before the 'path', as you can see here (4 boxes in a square).

Ian

You will not believe this........i just got the same as your self,i changed the raw setting to use dayer drizzle......would this have solved it.

Just now, paul mc c said:

You will not believe this........i just got the same as your self,i changed the raw setting to use dayer drizzle......would this have solved it.

Well, I don't think that is the issue. Drizzle will take a long time to process and will give you very large FITS files I believe. It is a way of getting more detail out of the image. I wouldn't do that normally (I've never used it).

Try this. Tick the little check-box on the LHS of the image line. Then in the "Options" box, click "Recommended", and see what happens. It'll give you some choices. When I tried it with your file I got this:

1015575577_DSSIMG9964CR2box.jpg.3e0b255c357094b04e0bf61046f1ae3c.jpg

You may find some of the 'headings' in red, which IIRC means that DSS thinks need changing. The top two are the most important.

Hope that helps.

Ian

5 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Well, I don't think that is the issue. Drizzle will take a long time to process and will give you very large FITS files I believe. It is a way of getting more detail out of the image. I wouldn't do that normally (I've never used it).

Try this. Tick the little check-box on the LHS of the image line. Then in the "Options" box, click "Recommended", and see what happens. It'll give you some choices. When I tried it with your file I got this:

1015575577_DSSIMG9964CR2box.jpg.3e0b255c357094b04e0bf61046f1ae3c.jpg

You may find some of the 'headings' in red, which IIRC means that DSS thinks need changing. The top two are the most important.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Thanks Ian,will give that a try mate.

Just another, possibly random! thought, is your image file on an external drive, or otherwise in a different location to your files that you know do work? If so, try copying to the same location and try opening it from there. Long shot, may be!

Ian

13 hours ago, paul mc c said:

Tried everything and nothing changed,so decieded to uninstall DSS 64 bit and replaced it with 32 bit and that has worked.

I'm pleased that you got it running Paul.

If it's actually possible to load a 64-bit application onto a 32-bit operating system, the fact that it would work with a conventional raw image but not a raw astro image leaves me perplexed!

Just for completeness, could you tell us whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit please? If you're not sure how to do that then "How-to-Geeks" say this:

" To check whether you’re using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10, open the Settings app by pressing Windows+I, and then head to System > About. On the right side, look for the “System type” entry. It will show you two pieces of information—whether you’re using a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system and whether you have a 64-bit capable processor. "

Thanks, Ian

Hi Ian,thanks for all your help,my laptop is 64 bit os,yea it was a strange one,probably something i was doing wrong,but glad it is now working...if i thought that was stressfull,now to get my head round PixInsight,but thats a whole different story.........?

2 hours ago, paul mc c said:

Hi Ian,thanks for all your help,my laptop is 64 bit os,yea it was a strange one,probably something i was doing wrong,but glad it is now working...if i thought that was stressfull,now to get my head round PixInsight,but thats a whole different story.........?

You are welcome!

Very strange that the 64-bit version didn't work. Have you actually tried re-installing the 64-bit version, as with the large files of the 450D it is of benefit to be able to use all of the RAM available, and I understand it is faster too.

Good luck with PI. I've only ventured into that territory with the trial version, but those who master it swear by it. If you haven't bought it yet it is worth trying out the range of software available. AstroArt is good for stacking as well as processing and control, StarTools is cheap, and there seems to be a bit of momentum behind the AstroPixelProcessor software, all of which are cheaper.

Ian

I actually meany to re install  the 64 bit,but must have clicked on the 32 bit by mistake,head was melted by this time,i will try the 64 bit again,and if for some reason it doesnt work will put the 32 back on.It is the trial versioni just downloaded to try,but it seems a bit complicated,but will see how it goes.

Archived