Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Recommended Posts

Hi,just got a modded 450d which allows me to shoot in raw { had 1100d and couldnt use raw },after stacking the raw, nothing came up on the screen after going through the process,i done exactly what i would have done when stacking with the 1100d,should i be doing something different when using raw.

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it would be normal to stack RAW images in DSS. You say that you got nothing up - can you clarify. Did you adjust RGB, saturation and luminance?

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have an 1100D and have no problems with its RAW CR2 files in DSS 4.2.2 (which I have used for many years). A 450D should be no different if its producing CR2 files. Modding makes no difference to the file format. 

I don't know how experienced you are with DSS but to see if you have data don't use any Darks, Flats, Bias - keep it simple. Use only a few Lights to keep it quick, also you can select an area on a Light and only process that part of the image - saves a huge amount of time when your trying settings.  Use the visualisation slider top right to inspect the lights to check you have an image to stack ;). If the colour is pants (should be very pink with a modded DSLR) change the Bayer Matrix by choosing an equivalent Canon camera in Raw/FITS DDP Settings FITS tab, but Generic RGGB should work as Canons use that layout as far as I'm aware.

Turn off all RGB/Background calibration  - Stacking Parameters dialog, Light tab bottom of dialog, click blue text which will change when you have set the options. I use Kappa Sigma Average stacking mostly with params of 1.5 kappa and 1 iteration. Run the Registeration/Stacking process. When the final image comes up it will look black with a couple of bright spots (maybe) of bright stars. Select Link Settings check box. Move the RGB/K black level to the right until the colour graphs broaden out, move the middle triangles so that the graph line intersect the colour graphs at the start of the curve. Set Saturation to at least 20%. Click Apply. If nothing starts to appear maybe your lights are darks!

Hope that helps

Duncan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After going through the usual stacking,you would get the next stage where you can do the adjustments,but it goes back to first stage as if i hadnt done anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dunc said:

Hi, I have an 1100D and have no problems with its RAW CR2 files in DSS 4.2.2 (which I have used for many years). A 450D should be no different if its producing CR2 files. Modding makes no difference to the file format. 

I don't know how experienced you are with DSS but to see if you have data don't use any Darks, Flats, Bias - keep it simple. Use only a few Lights to keep it quick, also you can select an area on a Light and only process that part of the image - saves a huge amount of time when your trying settings.  Use the visualisation slider top right to inspect the lights to check you have an image to stack ;). If the colour is pants (should be very pink with a modded DSLR) change the Bayer Matrix by choosing an equivalent Canon camera in Raw/FITS DDP Settings FITS tab, but Generic RGGB should work as Canons use that layout as far as I'm aware.

Turn off all RGB/Background calibration  - Stacking Parameters dialog, Light tab bottom of dialog, click blue text which will change when you have set the options. I use Kappa Sigma Average stacking mostly with params of 1.5 kappa and 1 iteration. Run the Registeration/Stacking process. When the final image comes up it will look black with a couple of bright spots (maybe) of bright stars. Select Link Settings check box. Move the RGB/K black level to the right until the colour graphs broaden out, move the middle triangles so that the graph line intersect the colour graphs at the start of the curve. Set Saturation to at least 20%. Click Apply. If nothing starts to appear maybe your lights are darks!

Hope that helps

Duncan

I have deen using DSS for a while now and havnt had a problem,i will try what you say and see how it goes, thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a user of DSS any more, but it might be interesting to import a single ordinary photo RAW file from the 450D into DSS and see what it looks like. With an ordinary photo at least you know what to expect. It will probably be darker than you'd get with a conventional RAW processor, because DSS works with linear files, whereas conventional photo processors apply a profile to match what one sees. If that works fine, I don't see why it shouldn't work with astro images.

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I'm not a user of DSS any more, but it might be interesting to import a single ordinary photo RAW file from the 450D into DSS and see what it looks like. With an ordinary photo at least you know what to expect. It will probably be darker than you'd get with a conventional RAW processor, because DSS works with linear files, whereas conventional photo processors apply a profile to match what one sees. If that works fine, I don't see why it shouldn't work with astro images.

Ian

i will actually try that as i took a couple of single shots of m42

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting a box saying not responding.........just noticed i am using DSS 4.1.1,would this matter.

Edited by paul mc c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try uninstalling DSS and reinstall 4.1.1.

Peter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

i will actually try that as i took a couple of single shots of m42

Well what I meant was a conventional photo, like a view of your garden.

DSS comes in 64-bit and 32-bit versions, are you using the correct one?

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Try uninstalling DSS and reinstall 4.1.1.

Peter

Funny i took i pic of the garden when i got the cam....i am using 64 bit

Edited by paul mc c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Well what I meant was a conventional photo, like a view of your garden.

DSS comes in 64-bit and 32-bit versions, are you using the correct one?

Ian

The pic of thr garden showed up ok.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

The pic of thr garden showed up ok.....

Then I'm not sure why the astro ones don't. What about a single astro pic, does that show up?

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the 1100d you need a later version of DSS. Dss is not a photo editing program it isn't aimed at showing you what is in the raw file like when you open one in a photo program. DSS is a conduit to creating a file from your raw light and calibration files that you then go and process.

Budgetastro.net has some great short videos to get you going with understanding and processing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Then I'm not sure why the astro ones don't. What about a single astro pic, does that show up?

Ian

No,i tried that........and got a not responding meaasge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

With the 1100d you need a later version of DSS. Dss is not a photo editing program it isn't aimed at showing you what is in the raw file like when you open one in a photo program. DSS is a conduit to creating a file from your raw light and calibration files that you then go and process.

Budgetastro.net has some great short videos to get you going with understanding and processing.

Yes,i have been using DSS for a long time with 1100d and never had the problem i am having now with 450d raw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I'm back on Windows 10 as I'm currently in XP I'll share what version of DSS I'm using.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and 4.0.1 beta (which I am using) W10 64bit is fine for me though looks like I could go and get a even newer version 🙂 works for 1100d raw files (sorry I had miss read  thought you were getting the old thin rectangle issue on a too old a version)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

No,i tried that........and got a not responding meaasge.

Weird! So it works with a .CR2 file from a conventional photo, but it doesn't with the .CR2 when you take an astro frame. Doesn't make sense. I don't know the 450D, but I assume there isn't a menu setting that says something like "works without lens" is there? Because that surely would be the only difference, other than exposure. Try it the other way then, what happens if you view the astro image in a conventional RAW processor? Is there actually an image? Do the file sizes with astro images match those of conventional images? Sorry, clutching at straws here.

40 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Yes,i have been using DSS for a long time with 1100d and never had the problem i am having now with 450d raw.

Sorry, I thought that you said in your original post that you couldn't use RAW with your 1100D? So, is this the first time you've tried RAW stacking?

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Weird! So it works with a .CR2 file from a conventional photo, but it doesn't with the .CR2 when you take an astro frame. Doesn't make sense. I don't know the 450D, but I assume there isn't a menu setting that says something like "works without lens" is there? Because that surely would be the only difference, other than exposure. Try it the other way then, what happens if you view the astro image in a conventional RAW processor? Is there actually an image? Do the file sizes with astro images match those of conventional images? Sorry, clutching at straws here.

Sorry, I thought that you said in your original post that you couldn't use RAW with your 1100D? So, is this the first time you've tried RAW stacking?

Ian

Yes it is the first time i have tried RAW stacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That file loads fine in DSS. No probems at all looks like I expected it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am at a loss here......maybe i should re install DSS as Peter CPC says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That file loads fine in DSS. No probems at all looks like I expected it to.

Even weirder then!

2 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

i am at a loss here......maybe i should re install DSS as Peter CPC says.

What OS are you using? How much RAM do you have in your computer?

Ian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.