Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS and RAW files help

Hi,just got a modded 450d which allows me to shoot in raw { had 1100d and couldnt use raw },after stacking the raw, nothing came up on the screen after going through the process,i done exactly what i would have done when stacking with the 1100d,should i be doing something different when using raw.

Paul

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I have an 1100D and have no problems with its RAW CR2 files in DSS 4.2.2 (which I have used for many years). A 450D should be no different if its producing CR2 files. Modding makes no difference to the file format. 

I don't know how experienced you are with DSS but to see if you have data don't use any Darks, Flats, Bias - keep it simple. Use only a few Lights to keep it quick, also you can select an area on a Light and only process that part of the image - saves a huge amount of time when your trying settings.  Use the visualisation slider top right to inspect the lights to check you have an image to stack ;). If the colour is pants (should be very pink with a modded DSLR) change the Bayer Matrix by choosing an equivalent Canon camera in Raw/FITS DDP Settings FITS tab, but Generic RGGB should work as Canons use that layout as far as I'm aware.

Turn off all RGB/Background calibration  - Stacking Parameters dialog, Light tab bottom of dialog, click blue text which will change when you have set the options. I use Kappa Sigma Average stacking mostly with params of 1.5 kappa and 1 iteration. Run the Registeration/Stacking process. When the final image comes up it will look black with a couple of bright spots (maybe) of bright stars. Select Link Settings check box. Move the RGB/K black level to the right until the colour graphs broaden out, move the middle triangles so that the graph line intersect the colour graphs at the start of the curve. Set Saturation to at least 20%. Click Apply. If nothing starts to appear maybe your lights are darks!

Hope that helps

Duncan

2 minutes ago, dunc said:

Hi, I have an 1100D and have no problems with its RAW CR2 files in DSS 4.2.2 (which I have used for many years). A 450D should be no different if its producing CR2 files. Modding makes no difference to the file format. 

I don't know how experienced you are with DSS but to see if you have data don't use any Darks, Flats, Bias - keep it simple. Use only a few Lights to keep it quick, also you can select an area on a Light and only process that part of the image - saves a huge amount of time when your trying settings.  Use the visualisation slider top right to inspect the lights to check you have an image to stack ;). If the colour is pants (should be very pink with a modded DSLR) change the Bayer Matrix by choosing an equivalent Canon camera in Raw/FITS DDP Settings FITS tab, but Generic RGGB should work as Canons use that layout as far as I'm aware.

Turn off all RGB/Background calibration  - Stacking Parameters dialog, Light tab bottom of dialog, click blue text which will change when you have set the options. I use Kappa Sigma Average stacking mostly with params of 1.5 kappa and 1 iteration. Run the Registeration/Stacking process. When the final image comes up it will look black with a couple of bright spots (maybe) of bright stars. Select Link Settings check box. Move the RGB/K black level to the right until the colour graphs broaden out, move the middle triangles so that the graph line intersect the colour graphs at the start of the curve. Set Saturation to at least 20%. Click Apply. If nothing starts to appear maybe your lights are darks!

Hope that helps

Duncan

I have deen using DSS for a while now and havnt had a problem,i will try what you say and see how it goes, thank you

I'm not a user of DSS any more, but it might be interesting to import a single ordinary photo RAW file from the 450D into DSS and see what it looks like. With an ordinary photo at least you know what to expect. It will probably be darker than you'd get with a conventional RAW processor, because DSS works with linear files, whereas conventional photo processors apply a profile to match what one sees. If that works fine, I don't see why it shouldn't work with astro images.

Ian

3 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I'm not a user of DSS any more, but it might be interesting to import a single ordinary photo RAW file from the 450D into DSS and see what it looks like. With an ordinary photo at least you know what to expect. It will probably be darker than you'd get with a conventional RAW processor, because DSS works with linear files, whereas conventional photo processors apply a profile to match what one sees. If that works fine, I don't see why it shouldn't work with astro images.

Ian

i will actually try that as i took a couple of single shots of m42

With the 1100d you need a later version of DSS. Dss is not a photo editing program it isn't aimed at showing you what is in the raw file like when you open one in a photo program. DSS is a conduit to creating a file from your raw light and calibration files that you then go and process.

Budgetastro.net has some great short videos to get you going with understanding and processing.

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

With the 1100d you need a later version of DSS. Dss is not a photo editing program it isn't aimed at showing you what is in the raw file like when you open one in a photo program. DSS is a conduit to creating a file from your raw light and calibration files that you then go and process.

Budgetastro.net has some great short videos to get you going with understanding and processing.

Yes,i have been using DSS for a long time with 1100d and never had the problem i am having now with 450d raw.

and 4.0.1 beta (which I am using) W10 64bit is fine for me though looks like I could go and get a even newer version ? works for 1100d raw files (sorry I had miss read  thought you were getting the old thin rectangle issue on a too old a version)

34 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

No,i tried that........and got a not responding meaasge.

Weird! So it works with a .CR2 file from a conventional photo, but it doesn't with the .CR2 when you take an astro frame. Doesn't make sense. I don't know the 450D, but I assume there isn't a menu setting that says something like "works without lens" is there? Because that surely would be the only difference, other than exposure. Try it the other way then, what happens if you view the astro image in a conventional RAW processor? Is there actually an image? Do the file sizes with astro images match those of conventional images? Sorry, clutching at straws here.

40 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Yes,i have been using DSS for a long time with 1100d and never had the problem i am having now with 450d raw.

Sorry, I thought that you said in your original post that you couldn't use RAW with your 1100D? So, is this the first time you've tried RAW stacking?

Ian

20 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Weird! So it works with a .CR2 file from a conventional photo, but it doesn't with the .CR2 when you take an astro frame. Doesn't make sense. I don't know the 450D, but I assume there isn't a menu setting that says something like "works without lens" is there? Because that surely would be the only difference, other than exposure. Try it the other way then, what happens if you view the astro image in a conventional RAW processor? Is there actually an image? Do the file sizes with astro images match those of conventional images? Sorry, clutching at straws here.

Sorry, I thought that you said in your original post that you couldn't use RAW with your 1100D? So, is this the first time you've tried RAW stacking?

Ian

Yes it is the first time i have tried RAW stacking.

5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That file loads fine in DSS. No probems at all looks like I expected it to.

Even weirder then!

2 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

i am at a loss here......maybe i should re install DSS as Peter CPC says.

What OS are you using? How much RAM do you have in your computer?

Ian

Archived