SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New from Virginia

DS24

I've been in some astronomy chat rooms and it sparked my interest because they were talking about taking pictures of various things and it all sousnded neat so I just did a little searching and found a telescope I liked which was an explore Scientific 127mm mak at 1900mm focal length. I liked how it was compact in size mainly and seemed to pack a punch so I ordered it without really knowing anything or what that particular telescope was good for and still don't entirely however I have seen and taken some nice shots of the moon already with it.  So I've had the telescope for about 1 month now and all I've done is look at the moon at times and saw Satern one time.  I mostly use the 25mm lens it came with but I also had gotten a 5x Barlow which I've found is just way to much magnification for that telescope I think and have a 9mm svbony brand eyepiece which seems also a bit much.    So just a week ago I ordered another telescope this time an explore Scientific 102mm Refractor doublet which has a focal length of 663mm and also got a explore Scientific 18mm 82 degree 2 inch eyepiece for it.  I just received it in the mail today and assembled it and plant zero the finder tomorrow.  I got the telescope because I hear that sort of telescope may be better to get a wider fov for galactic and neblonic stuff.  So I'm just diving right in and don't know much so would like any in sites from the pros.  I have a basic eq mount from explore Scientific right now and I have the GoTo pcm 8 mount from them on order but hasn't arrived yet.  

DSC-1023.jpg
DSC-1111.jpg
DSC-1045.jpg
DSC-1015.jpg
dice roller site

You seem like you may know your stuff.   I just ordered another 2in eyepeice in a 30mm.same series too hust because I fell in love with it but I think that's all I'm gonna get because they are too expensive. I'll just use my 1.25s for other focal lengths. So you think a 18mm and a 30mm are good ones with a 663mm telescope?  I've really just been guessing but I think I'm getting good stuff.  I'm currently trying to find out what I need in terms of software to make my GoTo mount experience easy and fun once I get it.  I know it uses an explore stars program you van install on a pc or android device with will be like it's remote via wifi and although wireless is nice I think the program leaves more to be desired and seems a bit cumbersome.  I wonder if there's something easier and better I can use with the pcm8 GoTo mount

When I was a lot younger...if it was cloudy...I would stay up all night drinking coffee and reading the instruction manual and just looking at my new kit...almost to excited to try it out....ha  Nowadays...if I stay up all night...it's because of the coffee....ha

Klitwo 

9 hours ago, DS24 said:

You seem like you may know your stuff.   I just ordered another 2in eyepeice in a 30mm.same series too hust because I fell in love with it but I think that's all I'm gonna get because they are too expensive. I'll just use my 1.25s for other focal lengths. So you think a 18mm and a 30mm are good ones with a 663mm telescope?  I've really just been guessing but I think I'm getting good stuff.  I'm currently trying to find out what I need in terms of software to make my GoTo mount experience easy and fun once I get it.  I know it uses an explore stars program you van install on a pc or android device with will be like it's remote via wifi and although wireless is nice I think the program leaves more to be desired and seems a bit cumbersome.  I wonder if there's something easier and better I can use with the pcm8 GoTo mount

Hello and welcome! I live in Virginia also and LOVE my ES 18 mm wide FOV eyepiece! All of my eyepieces are 2” except one. You have made some great choices already! I currently use an 8” dob but am planning to get a nice doublet refractor this summer. Good luck with your new gear!

EA1C9B46-41BF-4217-98EF-F75C274F96BD.jpeg

Welcome to the SGL! If you have specific questions be sure to ask them in the associated forum...you will get some great responses. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum and I have never gone without an answer to any of my questions. 

Archived